4 Important Reminders For When You Screw Up

Everything you do in life will always lead you to your success, especially if that thing is a failure.

20

We all mess up from time to time, if you're young and stupid at 18 or even if you're 60. You aren't the only know who think the Universe had its way of messing with you. Know that you are not your mistakes, we are imperfect by design. It's important to remember that mistakes lead to growth. Everything you do in life will always lead you to your success, especially if that thing is a failure.

Vincent Van Gogh only sold one painting in his lifetime out of the 800 pieces he created.

Walt Disney was fired from the Kansas City Star because his editor felt he "lacked imagination and had no good ideas."

J.K. Rowling’s first Harry Potter novel was initially rejected by 12 publishers.

When Jay-Z first started out, he couldn't get any record label to sign him.

So you see, it's okay to fail and mess up. We all do.

I know when I mess up really bad, even a little I think about it for days and days. It's so hard to let it go, even after everyone's forgotten about it, I haven't. However, when you screw up, you have a chance to fix things and reflect. Remember that everything is fixable and temporary.

Remember that it's also okay to cry and let out your feelings, if you don't cry to let emotions out then do what helps you. For me, I like writing down things in my journal. Ernest Hemingway once said, “write hard and clear about what hurts.” And doing so really helps me figure out my messy thoughts.

So you've screwed up? Personally, the three most important things to remember when you do screw up are: be honest, be forgiving and be kind;

Being honest gives you a one step further to fixing your mistakes, whether you think you messed up your life and you think your world is falling apart, be honest with yourself and know what you did, face your problems head on. If you hurt someone else, then be honest with them, tell them what you did and talk about how you feel.

Being forgiving helps you move on. Forgive yourself and don't beat yourself down because we are only human, it's perfectly okay to mess up. Be forgiving to others too, it's a wonderful quality to have, rise above.

Being kind is the most important to me. Be kind to yourself and others. Say nice things to yourself and about yourself. When you find yourself being negative, use kind and gentle language towards yourself.

What I want for who ever reads this long pep talk is to know you are not defined by your mistakes and it's okay to let them go because what you think is earth shattering right now won't matter as much as time passes. You don't have to be anchored down by them because you learn and you keep living. Though it is hard to do so, reflect on your screw ups instead of absorbing them.