Solo Dance Parties Are My New Thing Thanks To Quarantine

The end of finals brought me not only immense happiness, but also the drive to dance like never before.

16

The end of finals was a moment of pure joy for me, as I am sure most would agree with, too. I was so thrilled about finals being over that the few hours of sleep I had gotten the night before did not phase me. I ran around my house dancing and singing for quite some time.

As the day wore on, I kept seeing seniors' Instagram stories of Miami bucket list items and everything that they had done. It occurred to me that I had done very few of the things on the list. And having been social distancing for so long now, I have realized that I would like to start living more fully. I was running around my house dancing, and I thought about how I had always wanted to dance outside.

Growing up a dancer, it was always difficult to go to dance class on really nice days, and I always said that I wished we could have class outside. The only time I ever got to dance outside was when the fire alarm went off during a show right before the finale and we ended up performing our last dance outside. It was one of my more iconic dance moments.

So in the late afternoon on the day of my last final, I took my dance party outside. I did some real dancing too, an old combo, some leaps, and I definitely pulled some muscles. But I also just ran around screaming and dancing to some of my favorite songs. I was in my backyard, but I know that some neighbors still saw. And maybe I lost some street cred, but it was the most fun I have had since coming home from school. And I didn't even have anyone to dance with.

I think it's really important that we're able to have fun by ourselves. Not everyone loves to dance, and not everyone wants to go run around in their backyard screaming and just waiting for the world to judge. But I also think that we have grown up in a world that oftentimes puts us down, and in a world that makes us feel too insecure to do some of the things we've always wanted—like having a solo dance party outside in broad daylight.

So, I hope that this pandemic and being isolated has taught everyone that it is not fun to live in fear, and that if anyone is actually judging you it really shouldn't matter—they're probably just jealous of your confidence anyway. Coming out of quarantine, I am going to do more weird things like dancing in public, telling people how important they are to me (which shouldn't be weird but it totally makes some people uncomfortable), and posting random things on Instagram, like action shots from my solo outdoor dance parties.