To All Of Society: A Speech On The Importance Of Being Pro-Vaccinations

With the reemergence of vaccine-preventable diseases, we have taken five steps backwards.

10

Human society is the epitome of advancement through problem-solving. Our society has propelled forward through innovations such as automobiles, aviation, advanced infrastructure, and smartphones. We have taken ten steps forward through solving an array of problems, but with the reemergence of vaccine-preventable diseases such as Measles, Mumps, and Rubella, we have taken five steps backwards.

Simply put, a vaccine is a substance injected into one's body to create immunity to a certain disease/illness. Vaccines resulted in the significant drop in the crude death rate of nearly every country; it was a major stepping stone towards development. Since the creation of the vaccine, 2.5 million lives are saved from preventable diseases annually.

The tarnished reputation of Big Pharma along with the spread of false information, has led to the Anti-Vaccination movement. With the rise of anti-vaccinators, there has been a reemergence of measles, mumps, pertussis, and hepatitis b. Measles was declared eliminated in 2000, so why are we back to square one? There is a solution to the problem of preventable diseases and it can easily be acquired, so it would be foolish not to use it. Eldridge Coover once said, "You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem.

In recent times, we are used to seeing organic, non-GMO, vegan, and "all natural ingredients" on everything we consume, so it is quite natural to be cynical of a substance injected into our body. Parental concern is not the issue though. The real issue is the mistrust of highly qualified physicians, because of false information parents "research" . It is astonishing parents believe a blog run by a mother who has no experience in the field of immunology over a medical doctor with decades of experience.

To refute every anti-vaccination claim, everyone must understand the simple fact that

Vaccines DO NOT cause autism; there is currently no scientific evidence that proves vaccines cause autism. This medical myth was a result of an infamous research paper claiming the MMR vaccine causes autism, which was later proven to contain falsified data and false claims. The BMJ medical journal states, "Wakefield's fraud unleashed fear, parental guilt, costly government intervention, and outbreaks of infectious disease."The effects of the research paper were irreversible, because it planted a seed of doubt and cynicism regarding the Pharmaceutical Industry. Now the seed has blossomed into tree, and fear of the pharmaceutical industry is weighing down society. The pharmaceutical industry saves billions of lives. The elderly man survived a heart attack because of Thrombolytics; the homeless man's drug overdose was reversed using Naloxone; the child who went into anaphylactic shock after eating peanuts was saved by Epinephrine Hydrochloride.

When discussing their views, Anti-Vaccinators always bring up the presence of Formaldehyde in vaccines. Although it is TRUE vaccines contain Formaldehyde, the chemical makes up only 0.0005% of the chemical composition of the vaccine. For reference, liquid hand soap contains 0.1% Formaldehyde . Also keep in mind, hand soap is used multiple times every day, while vaccines are given few times a year. Paul Offit, a world renowned pediatrician, claims children are exposed to more harmful toxins in one day of normal activity than from one dosage of a vaccine.

The choice is obvious. Life or death-take your pick. Let us leave vaccine-preventable diseases in the past, and move forward through educating the public of the dangers of not vaccinating.