The Claims Against Harvey Weinstein Are Nothing New And Society Needs To Change

The way rape & sexual harassment tis viewed in our society today needs to change.

56
wikimedia.org

Over the course of the last few weeks, filmmaker Harvey Weinstein has accused of sexual misconduct by a lot of credible celebrities. Among the list of stars was Cara Delevingne, Ashley Judd, and Rose McGowan.

These women have all bravely come forward and placed accusations against Weinstein of sexual harassment and rape. Weinstein, has left the country in search of treatment for his apparent "sex addiction", after, of course, pleading his innocence.

This case of sexual misconduct is not an uncommon situation in modern Hollywood. Many stars, including Blake Lively, have claimed that they had been sexually threatened in order to achieve desired roles or events.

These victims feared to confront Weinstein about the issue. In fear of losing their jobs, or being seen as a liar and losing credibility, these women bottled up the trauma inside of them. Because these women worked under the authority of Weinstein, it placed him in a position of power and left the women feeling helpless.

As I previously stated, this issue is one that has been around for decades now. Marilyn Monroe was one of the first actress' to openly discuss her traumatizing child abuse, and the harassment she experienced on her rise to success. Monroe's pleads for help were met with harsh ridicule, and disbelief from her peers.

This abuse is not limited to female stars, and is certainly not only limited to Hollywood's stars. Every 68 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted.68%. That is a statistic we as Americans, as human beings, should not be okay with. The majority of these victims tend not to come forward due to the extreme fear of harsh retaliation.

Terry Crews publicly denounced Weinstein's actions, and proceeded to side with the women who waited to come forward. Terry sympathized saying that he too understood why many of these victims do not confide in people about the abuse. Our society is structured in a way that rape culture is ever present and many rapists are not ever convicted for their crimes.

The way rape and sexual harassment tis viewed in our society today needs to change. From a sociological standpoint, we tend to blame the victim for the crimes that happened to them. "What were you wearing?" "How much did you have to drink?" Society tends to put the blame on the victims, & then accuses them of lying when they choose to confront the issue.

This is not a healthy way for men and women of all ages and professions to be living.