Socially Active Seniors: How to Stay Connected and Make New
Lifestyles

Socially Active Seniors: How to Stay Connected and Make New Friends

As we get older, it gets more difficult to make new friends and stay connected. Get some tips on how to stay socially active as a senior citizen here.

37

Loneliness is a common problem among senior citizens. In fact, one in three seniors currently struggles with feelings of loneliness.

Do you have an elderly family member or loved one who seems to be lonely or even depressed? If so, they could likely benefit from some more social interaction and activity in their lives.

If you're not sure how to get your loved one to be more socially active, keep reading. Listed below are some helpful tips that you can try today.

Start Exercising

Exercise offers tons of mental and physical health benefits to seniors.

It can help seniors to feel happier and more energized, and it can help them to be less injury-prone. Exercise also provides new opportunities to make friends.

Try arranging for your loved one to attend a water aerobics or local Zumba class. They'll enjoy all the benefits of exercise, and they'll get a chance to socialize.

Spend Time Outside

Outdoor activities are another great way for seniors to meet new friends. Consider having them join a local walking group or tennis club.

They'll still get to enjoy the benefits of exercise, but they'll also get the added bonus of spending some time in the fresh air and sunshine each day.

Become a Mentor

Seniors have accumulated tons of wisdom throughout their lives. Why not find a way for them to share that wisdom with the younger generation?

Look into opportunities for seniors to mentor younger people.

They could work with children as part of a foster grandparent program, or they could even share professional knowledge or teach other skills at your local community center.

Visit the Senior Center

If you have a senior center in your area, you ought to learn more about the kinds of activities they offer throughout the week.

Most senior centers provide tons of opportunities for the elderly to socialize, exercise, and learn new things.

Whatever interests your loved one has, there's a good chance there's an opportunity to delve deeper into them at their local senior center.

Consider Relocating

Sometimes, the best option for seniors who want to stay socially active is to consider relocating.

If they don't live near a senior center and don't have access to a lot of senior-friendly activities, it's going to be hard for them to maintain social connections (especially if they don't drive or don't like to drive far).

In these cases, relocating to a retirement community can be a great option for them to build and maintain new relationships.

Learn More Ways for Seniors to Stay Socially Active

As you can see, there are lots of ways that seniors can remain socially active as they get older, whether they live alone or are part of a senior living community.

Keep these tips in mind and share them with a loved one who's been struggling to get out and meet new people.

Do you want to learn more ways to help your elderly loved one stay social and continue to thrive? They might need to get involved in a charity.