Socialism Is A National Security Necessity

Economic Egalitarianism Is An Ultimate Defensive Strategy For Legitimate Security For The Citizenry And Nation

The United States economy has had a traumatic past century. We saw the horrors of the Great Depression, followed by a few decades of apparent prosperity; culminating with the last 50 years of deregulation and increased privatization. Finally bringing the nation, and the world, to its knees in recent years with the Great Recession, and the Post Recession era of austerity and economic decline. The human suffering caused by this haphazard and deceptive economic system has been the basis for world wars over control of "markets", along with countless smaller conflicts of equal or greater levels of death and destruction. All committed in the name of economic "growth", securing "free" markets, and interests of resource control and commodification. It must be recognized that Capitalism, having reached its late stage, is a direct threat to national security; in the exact same way it has been a direct threat to the security of persons. As President Franklin Roosevelt once stated, "True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made".

We as a nation and as a civilization cannot afford to perpetuate such risks that undermine the integrity of our nation. Right now we have corporations that have transcended national boundaries, that act as defacto centers of power. They can utilize their wealth to manipulate and alter the political structures of the US, on all levels of government, to pervert and distort them away from the needs of the citizenry and towards special private interests. The notion of democratizing our economy is the only manner we can logistically ensure that the government and citizenry will not be distorted and manipulated by private interests. Public dominion over the economy is a collectivizing manner that will ensure greater individual security when democratic control directs surplus value back directly into the economy rather than private hands. Nationalizing industries would be the first step towards this economic democratization; especially if the industries nationalized are the ones formed under the auspices of the "Military-Industrial-Complex". Removing private control of the US war machine would ensure that our warrior class is not tricked into pointless wars like the recent wars in the Middle East, or massive wars like the business interests that drove the US into World War One. As Marine General Smedley Butler, one of the highest decorated marines in US history, wrote in his book "War is a Racket":

WAR is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes. In the World War [I] a mere handful garnered the profits of the conflict. At least 21,000 new millionaires and billionaires were made in the United States during the World War. That many admitted their huge blood gains in their income tax returns.

The drive for socialism and economic egalitarianism is not an ideological argument but one of necessity for national and individual security. As we progress into the future, unseen with new events revolving human civilization, technology, etc.; we must avoid past problems and mistakes before they are created/repeated. Late capitalism has proven to consume itself at the expense of governments and citizens alike. It has even proven to be one of the largest force of destruction perpetuating our biosphere degradation and ecological collapse. If we are to ensure the survival of our nation, our civilization, and our species we must get over the dogmatic and fundamentalist perception of socialism being some kind of evil force. It is very apparent that the last century of propaganda disseminating such mental conceptions are based off of falsehoods designed to empower the private forces that benefit from our capitalist system. It is not an ideological conflict, rather a necessity for survival, to dismantle and reconstruct our economy in a democratized and egalitarian manner.