In Light Of Mark Zuckerberg's Recent Hearing On Capital Hill, Now Is The Perfect Time To Watch 'The Social Network'

Facebook has over 2.2 billion active users, read about the movie that tells the whole story.

71
Youtube.com

Mark Zuckerberg, Founder and CEO of Facebook, testified before Congress on Tuesday and Wednesday. The company’s mishandling of data is what prompted these hearings. Data from an estimated 87 million Facebook users were harvested during the 2016 election. Zuckerberg has been answering tough questions from lawmakers on Capitol Hill. Two important aspects of these hearings come to mind when reading about and watching the hearing.

The first, as a Facebook user, is questioning whether or not our data is safe. As a voter, I don’t want anyone to meddle in our elections and it makes me cautious about what goes out there on all of these social networks. As a civilian, I want to know that my data and what I put on social platforms is secure. This brings up many issues including security, privacy, politics, and the use of social media in our society and culture.

The second thing that popped into my head when learning about these Facebook hearings is the movie about the early days of Facebook, “The Social Network.” The 2010 film that won three Oscars chronicles Mark Zuckerberg’s rise to prominence thanks to the groundbreaking social platform. Facebook now has 2.2 billion users worldwide.

“The Social Network” is certainly worth looking into in terms of its relevancy and its quality.

The movie centers around the creation of Facebook and how it became one of the most popular social networking sites. Director David Fincher does an excellent job of giving the film such a great sense of drama and high stakes. I’ve seen this movie more than ten times and each time I am still at the edge of my seat.

Two things that go hand in hand are the writing and the acting. Aaron Sorkin did the screenplay for the movie and he has written other excellent films and tv shows. His style is all about fast-paced dialogue. It requires an audience to listen attentively.

The film stars Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, and Armie Hammer. Jesse Eisenberg plays the lead, Mark Zuckerberg. His portrayal of Zuckerberg has made the character for this adaptation very unique and it has stood out for audiences the last eight years. In fairness, every actor in “The Social Network” gives a solid performance.

One of my personal favorites is Andrew Garfield as Eduardo Saverin. Garfield throws in a lot of emotion and charisma into his role. There are even times he stands out from his colleagues on screen. Timberlake and Hammer also give memorable performances that add to the enjoyment of the film. Every actor brings their A-game and each performance will stick out in the minds of a captivated audience.

The film tells the story of Facebook’s beginnings. From a Harvard dorm room to a social platform with millions of users. The betrayal and drama bring so much weight to the characters. And that is the movie’s greatest strength. It keeps its audience engaged with a well-written screenplay, great acting, and good drama.

“The Social Network” is worth the watch.

It is an excellent movie that I believe will only get better as time passes. And who knows, maybe with the Zuckerberg hearings at Congress, we’ll get a sequel out of it.