Social Media Etiquette
Politics

Social Media Etiquette

Are there rules for social media?

86
https://picjumbo.com/download/?d=facebook-app-login-splash-screen-on-iphone.jpg&n=facebook-app-login-splash-screen-on-iphone&id=1

Not many people speak of the do's and don'ts of social media. They are just like those unspoken rules of society that you are supposed to have ingrained in your brain already. You know, "face the door when in an elevator," "turn off the brights on your car if someone is driving toward you," "avoid texting 'k' at all costs." It's just a difference in upbringing and development. The society you live in controls what is labeled as "rude." For those living in a big city, lingering to talk to the cashier is seen as inconsiderate for wasting the people's time behind you. In contrast, not making conversation with the cashier in a small town community is labeled as impolite because you couldn't even find time to stop and chat. I took it upon myself to gather some of the common pet peeves on social media. This list was not meant to offend or change how you live your life. It's just for funsies. Enjoy!

1) Petty fights.

We've all seen it. Those fights on Facebook or Twitter that have everyone picking sides, but never really solving any of the problems. Sure, our emotions can take control sometimes, but would you really want your future boss to uncover some poorly worded tweets? Is a witty comeback really worth your dream career being impacted?

2) Thumb torture isn't cool.

Okay, this one needs a little explaining. You ever have that friend who posts 20+ snapchat videos to their story? This needs to stop, like now. No one watches all of those videos. Maybe two or three are fine, but who would sit through watching a shaky, low quality video of a band they might not even be interested in? Real friends don't subject their friends to thumb torture by making them tap through all the spam.

3) Eat your food while it's warm!

You've seen the Instagram foodies and wanted to try it out for yourself. We see you, and acknowledge you. Maybe, just a thought: Do you think your food would taste better while it is warm? Live in the moment and stop caring about the likes on social media.

4) We know you cute, we don't need 20 selfies

Hey, we know you are super cute! Remind us once in awhile, but too many selfies make it look like you are looking for self-validation. We love you and appreciate you!

5) Keep the rants to a minimum

This just opens up the door to more drama in your life. You don't deserve that! Talk to a friend you trust, and they will make sure you feel heard.

6) Stop playing the follow-unfollow game

Follow if you are truly interested in an account, but don't do it temporarily as a way to gain followers, and then unfollow them. Followers aren't THAT important. The number you have does not place a meaning to your worth. Be purposeful with your account, and be respectful of others because they are people too.

7) Refrain your Hate Comments

If you have scrolled through the comments on any YouTube post, you have seen these. Spread love, not hate. Positivity, not negativity. It feels a lot better complimenting others than pointing out their flaws. We can make the internet a welcoming place. We got this!