social media good or bad
Lifestyles

Social Media Is A Blessing And A Curse, But One Has To Outweigh The Other

Your health may be at risk.

137
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4407/36814291390_0606ab2e1e_b.jpg
Flickr

Social media is a huge part of many people's lives, and it's only becoming more prevalent. While the age of children on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Snapchat seems to be lowering, people of all ages can be found on Facebook as well as the previously listed platforms. It may be impossible to discredit these ways of expression as becoming "normal" factors of life, but some may even say they're becoming obsessions among our culture.

If these platforms have as much control over us as some may believe, the question one must ask themselves is "is this healthy?"

Although staring at a screen is an obvious issue when regarding our health for many reasons, there are much deeper pros and cons to this topic that must be discussed. First, one must take into account what others are posting on social media. This can not only cause young adults to compare themselves to the people before them but can also introduce them to content that their parents have worked hard to shield them from. No matter how many barriers and blocks a parent may attempt to put up, children will find a way around it. Giving them a screen that only they can see essentially promotes this sneakiness if it's their own personal and private device.

Additionally, one must take into account who can see their profiles. Anyone can make a profile on any platform. Catfishing is so simple it is a massive issue across all applications. Not only that but if someone finds your profile and wants your information bad enough, they just have to click a few buttons before it's at their fingertips. There needs to be a massive improvement in security concerning your information, to say the least. While the cons list for social media could go on for pages, it is only fair to express the pros as well.

A major advantage of social media is the jobs it provides citizens with. Not only can one work in the company headquarters, but these platforms are promoting entrepreneurship among all ages. These sites teach people to view themselves as a brand and can make them question how to "sell" themselves and gain a following. While this could be dangerous if you let it get into your head; if you have a large enough following you could be paid by sponsors as well as the company themselves. These paychecks are not too shabby either, in fact, more and more people are gaining comfortable incomes from this new opportunity.

Not only is this a good way to gain a few dollars, but people can use these applications as a creative release. The simpleness of creating profiles and adding to them has given people easy ways of showing their art to others. Whether it's through drawing, painting, photography, writing, or any other outlet, social media has given creatives all over the world opportunities to grow and even get paid for their art when it was not an option before this way of life blew up.

In conclusion, one must personally choose which list outweighs the other. Social media is good and bad for humanity for many reasons, it is up to you to choose which you value more. However, I believe social media is a huge advantage we cannot overlook. The solution I would present for the cons is educating not only children but their parents of the dangers these platforms bring. If you know what you're getting into, you're more likely to be careful and avoid risky situations, while still profiting from the positive traits. Society is going to adapt and gain these forms of media whether you agree with it or not, so it is best that you stay one step ahead and educate yourselves on the situation while becoming familiar with it.