Social Media's Impact On Your Potential

Social Media's Impact On Your Potential

A tip for time management

14
Social Media's Impact On Your Potential
Daily News

When you think of money, when you think of success, when you think of prosperity, when you think of the people that are the top one percent of this country, you probably think about people that have consistently reached their aspirations, dreams, desires and goals. They are fundamentally separated from all of the other classes because of their ability to manage the time they have. The irony is they don’t have more time than any of us; they live on the same quantifiable scale as everyone else, yet their ability to accomplish more in a 24-hour day is unprecedented. The people that are the most successful are the people that are utilizing the entirety of their day for persistent growth and personal development.

Mark Zuckerberg isn’t using his own social media platform; he doesn’t have time to post the stuff he's doing. He doesn’t have the time because he is trying to steer his company toward more growth and development; he is concerned with building value in the product he has. If there is a post on his behalf, then it is because he is paying a secretary a menial wage to do so. He wouldn’t waste the valuable time he has in his day for a lowly task, such as posting a selfie or liking people’s stuff, when he could be building the company’s value and net worth.

Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat, Pinterest, and the rest of them are designed as a personal ego boost. These platforms allow you to brag about your accomplishments, post satisfying pictures about the trips you are going on, and boast about yourself. They waste hours of time throughout the day. This is valuable time that could be spent designing your future and fostering a foundation for your own growth and development. Millennials are quantifying themselves by their posts, likes, and friends, but how many of them can actually engage in effective networking, or communication with people in real life?

I walk around my college campus and I see masses of mindless people walking along looking down at their phones, liking pictures, and texting all day long. It's like a virus that has become a widespread epidemic. Like the cyber world is in control of the minds of the people in the physical world that we live in. Most people aren’t even aware of the people around them; they just walk around as zombies. The problem with this is these people feel like they are more informed about the world we live in, but the reality is they are more distant from the world than ever before. Many of these same people are mindlessly going through college with minimum effort; everything is done last-minute, they forget discipline, make poor decisions and form negative habits which contributes to their decline.

I recently read an article in a magazine called The Week, which has a quote from Warren Buffet saying that he spends 80 percent of his time in his office reading. He devotes his time to expanding his knowledge, which helps expand the growth of his business. He doesn’t waste time with technology or any other platform, because it doesn’t contribute to his personal success, or the growth of his business. I’m not saying everyone has to rid themselves of these platforms, in fact, I use some of them a lot for marketing my projects, but I am certainly trying to make a point that we should all consider reducing the amount of time that we use checking social media platforms and increase the time we spend on personal development and growth. Ask yourself: What would happen if I spent an hour a day on developing a new skill? How much more accomplished would I feel? How much more productive could I be?

I am willing to bet the top one percent of successful people are utilizing their time to expand their net worth, build their futures and grow personally rather than posting about their likes and dislikes; I also bet none of these people are posting selfies on Facebook. I could be wrong, but this is my bet.