Social Media Cleanse

It has happened to the best of us. Maybe it was a picture of us from a wild night out or maybe it was a post you put on your friend’s wall in high school that somehow resurfaced. We’ve all had something embarrassing about us publicized that we’d rather no one see. They can be funny at first, but very few of us would want a future employer or a family member to see them.

As internship application due dates and summer job deadlines approach, now is the time to make sure social media is free of these bothersome reminders of us when we aren’t at our best. I don’t know about you, but going through all of my pictures and tweets individually and purging everything that could be seen as inappropriate sounds just as enjoyable as watching paint dry. Luckily, there are other ways to make sure your Facebook and Twitter profiles are clean without it being a time-consuming task.

Step 1: Google yourself.

Before you start your social media cleanse, Google yourself to see what results appear. If you aren’t happy with what appears, figuring out how to remove these results should be the first item on your to-do list. If you’re pleased with the results, move on to the next step.

Step 2: Adjust privacy settings.

If your Google search included pictures or posts from your social media pages, it’s most likely due to a lack of privacy settings. This problem is very simple to remedy. On Facebook, the privacy page allows you to choose who can see your posts, who can search for you and who can send you friend requests. To edit the privacy settings on your profile pictures and any albums you have, go to your photos and individually adjust who is allowed to see your pictures. Twitter also has a security and privacy page that allows you to decide if you want your tweets to be private, meaning you must be a follower to see the tweets.

Step 3: SimpleWash.

There’s a free website called SimpleWash (simplewa.sh) that looks through your social media profiles and alerts you to any vulgar or inappropriate posts that you might want to remove.  By simply logging into your Facebook or Twitter account, the website goes through all posts, flagging inappropriate language. The program also has the ability to search for certain words you would like removed.

SimpleWash doesn’t go though pictures, but privacy settings should protect pictures that you don’t want the world to see. So clean up your social media presence before applying for jobs and internships!