My New Year's Resolution

Social Media And What I Learned Over The Years

Saying goodbye to Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.

5

I got my first phone when I was about 11 years old. To some people that seems a little young for a kid to have a phone. To others, it seems about normal. It was a really big deal for me. I loved staying connected to the world and enjoyed seeing interesting content from people who share the same interest as me. Social media plays a big role in that aspect. I would spend hours just scrolling through pictures or watching videos on things that a typical pre-teen would enjoy. What I didn't realize is how it would affect me.

As I got older and as social media grew, I noticed my interests were changed and were almost always technology-related and I didn't want to do anything but stare at a phone screen. That became toxic to me as it would cause me to have self-confidence issues, body issues, and deteriorate my learning brain. I would ignore friends and family just to watch a YouTube video or go through Facebook rather than have a face to face conversation with someone. It started to define my life. I knew I had to make a change.

With the new year, people tend to have resolutions but don't really seem to stick them. I started one of mine as soon as it became January 1st. I put my phone down. It was challenging at first. I didn't think I would have anything to keep me busy in the meantime but I actually did. I ended up donating my old clothes and learning a new riff on my guitar that I got for Christmas. It was a small achievement but it was the small foundation of how I want to live my life: controlled by me, not a phone.