Snapchat And Instagram Contribute Heavily To Our Insecurities

Sharing our lives through beautiful pictures isn’t going to make our self-esteem increase, but instead destroyed within seconds.

448
Flickr

When Instagram came into being in 2010, the world of social media started a new era of Photoshopped glamour and filtered images. People, especially girls, started posting their best filtered images and cute ones onto their daily feed to share it among their friends.

As the app’s popularity grew, the people began to share the importance of it through media and by word of mouth. Suddenly, before you even knew it, Instagram copied Snapchat in terms of stories, and it became the newest thing for its platform. Sharing our lives through beautiful pictures isn’t going to make our self-esteem increase, but instead destroyed within seconds. The power of social media filters you through the screen and drowns you in sorrow. It sounds too good to be true, anyways.

Instagram stories were made available by the end of 2016. It was a new year of kids and teens alike trying to use the same filters their friends used on Snapchat. Come on, would you use a filter to look pretty? I bet you would. I mean, just taking a selfie of yourself and changing the color won’t do much to your self-esteem.

We can definitely change the way our face looks, but underneath all those filters, our faces remain the same thing. Some filters make our face seem like we have a pointier, thin nose, and lean cheeks. Would you want a filter that makes your hair look like its dyed and eyes gleaming with potential inaccuracy? Filters are a great option, but we accustom our ideas to the images on the screen and keep away from our true selves.

Snapchat is another app that helps you send model-perfect images through snaps sent to your friends. I made a mistake. Snapchat filters aren't model-like, but I would try to say it is quite similar. Wow, Snapchat does make things a lot easier for us. On a regular day, you begin to use less makeup and just use filters to take better images. At least girls like us know how to skip on our daily routine.

But, if you take the filter off, would you need to exercise to look skinny and worry about putting makeup on? The answer is yes. Next time you send a snap, think about how addicted you actually are when you use Snapchat.

Ugh, I feel beauty overlooks our negatives and tiny minuscule flaws. Body image is just seeing the physical form as it seems to be perfect in the mirror, but definitely crazy on the camera. To make matters difficult, I am not the only girl who relies on filters on Snapchat. Thousands of women use it daily. I seem so hedonistic when I look at my face and attach this camera filter to my face, puppy dog filter and those color filters knowing I will look good, just like Kim K.

Once you change the shape of your nose and cheeks, you realize you aren’t the same person without the filters. I do not support that because without it, you are really insecure. I seem to feel like I sinned because Snapchat filters cancels my insecurities and makes me look unreal and basically an attention whore.

Imagine Snapchat filters sent from heaven to disguise our insecurities. It is a shame; I feel like no one can stop me from perfecting myself like Gigi Hadid, not even Photoshop.

Even if Instagram and Snapchat make you look like you popped right out of the next Harpaar Bazaar’s magazine, you have a long way to come through before you realize your face isn’t even as pretty as it seems on a daily basis. You take off the filter and realize, “Oh, damn, my face is flawed, it isn’t even close to what I see on Snapchat.”

Guess it’s time for some makeup. Let me call Sephora. You are my number one savior. I am coming for you.

Dear Instagram and Snapchat, don’t let me down, because being good looking isn’t all about the filtered screen. Sometimes it's genetic, and other times it takes a load of work to make ourselves look the impossible. Loving ourselves is a hard task, but with the right tools and proper situation, we can tackle it to use it among our own every day frustrations.