So, Your Ex Is Getting Married

So, Your Ex Is Getting Married

Is your old high school sweetheart putting a ring on it? Here is the survival guide on how to get through it.

115
https://pixabay.com/en/marriage-celebration-people-person-918864/

"UGH!" We've all said it while scrolling through Facebook and seeing that new relationship update. 'Engaged' right there in bold for everybody to see. We've reached that age where lives are changing. Your friends are having babies, your ex is getting hitched, and you're all alone at home while binge-watching Riverdale. It sucks.

But listen, you're not jealous! I promise it is totally normal to feel what you are feeling right now. It doesn't matter if your relationship ended on good terms or bad, it is okay to go through the motions.

It's okay to be a little angry.

I mean, maybe 2018 is passed the Chanel Vs. Walmart thing and we're out here helping other queens fix their crowns instead of dragging them down. So, we aren't going to sit here and call the new wifey horrendous names like 'dumpster fire'. That doesn't mean you can't be angry though! You and your ex have shared memories, things that only you two know. The nostalgia sets in when you see him smiling with another woman. I get it, it's frustrating. Embrace that anger, but don't let it knock you down.

You aren't still in love with him, I promise.

We question ourselves when we see that pretty little ring sitting on the new girl's finger. The stir of emotions we feel can bring on a lot of doubt, which is also completely normal. Once upon a time, you thought that would be you walking down the aisle with him. So, feeling a little upset can make you wonder if you did the right thing by ending the relationship. As any drunk girl in a bar bathroom would say, 'Don't text your ex!'

You are NOT in love with him anymore. Think about it. If you were watching the love of your life getting ready to be put on the permanent lock, what would you be doing right now? Would you be okay? No. Are you okay right now? Yes, sis, you are.

It's okay to be a little sad.

Just because you are in your feels right now doesn't mean that you're still feeling things for him. You're sad, you're watching something difficult happen and it's probably crushing the dreams you once had that are still being compartmentalized.

Turn off your Drake playlist, stop looking at your prom photos, and slip into a glittery dress. Yes, you heard me, you're going out tonight. It's time for you to go make some bad decisions after a couple shots. By the end of the night, you won't even remember that he is getting married.

If it was meant to be, it would be.

Take a minute to remember why you broke up. Did he cheat? Were you unhappy? Was the arguing too much? Keep in mind that his new girl is probably dealing with that now. Once the problems start, they won't stop. It's highly unlikely that if you got back together with him now that he'd work on all of his past wrongdoings. You broke up for a reason, keep reminding yourself of that.

Stop considering her an 'Upgrade'.

Repeat after me: 'I AM BAD AND BOUJEE'. Say it over and over again until you believe it because it is true. You are you, she is her. You are two different people, so stop putting it on a scale of best to worst. This isn't a competition to see who is prettier, smarter, funnier, etc. If you think she can give him something that you couldn't, then work on that for your next relationship. I'm not saying that you should change yourself, I'm saying that you can boost your confidence by working on whatever it was that 'you couldn't give him.'

He isn't the one that got away.

People always refer to exes as 'the one that got away', This isn't a Friends episode! He is just an ex, okay? As cliché as it is, there is plenty of fish in the sea. Just because he isn't the one, doesn't mean there isn't one out there for you. It's gonna hurt to see something that could've been you happen to someone else. But, As Theresa Russo from Wizards of Waverly Place once said: "You are just one heartbreak closer to your happily ever after."

Just be happy that he is happy.

If you had a relationship that ended civilly, you may still be friends with that ex. Even if you are feeling down in the dumps about his wedding, be the bigger person. Congratulate him, tell him you're happy for him and move on. You'd be surprised at how much better you might feel! If what you need right now is closure, this may be the perfect solution. Close the chapter on a happier note.

Take some time for yourself.

Nowadays, the 'millennial' way to heal after a breakup is to chop off your hair, get your nails done, and piercing your nipples. So, try your breakup method for this situation too! No, I don't mean eat an entire carton of Ben & Jerry's with your dog. I mean, do what you would do to make yourself feel better. Treat yourself to a little gift that will brighten your mood. I'm sure your friends would love to go out for a day at the mall to help you forget about the sadness.

And to the girl who is marrying my ex...

Treat him good, please. Or I will end your relationship with a text that says 'I miss you.'