A Snow Day in Anthropologie

A Snow Day in Anthropologie

Life lessons learned during an unexpected adventure.
391

What business does a Texan girl have in Chevy Chase, Maryland, perhaps the ritziest city near Washington D.C.? After receiving a 4-H scholarship a year ago, I was recently asked to speak at a Youth Summit to inspire the next generation of 4-Hers. After a whirlwind of flight delays and my motivational speech, I found myself with a few free hours to myself.

I convinced myself that I deserved to go out. After all, my presentation had seen to it that my makeup and dress attire was already befitting to Maryland’s downtown scene.

Homework? As if.

Minutes later, I called a taxi. You see, an Uber just wouldn’t do because I didn’t quite know where I was headed to just yet.

Five minutes into our ride and much to my surprise, the windshield became covered with tiny, delicate, white flurries of snow.

Please note, I have seen snow a whopping two times in my lifetime. I politely asked my driver for permission to roll my window down, but he refused. And I don’t blame him. Instead, I did the next best thing and asked him to let me out. “Right here on the sidewalk?” he hesitated to ask. Why yes, of course! This was SNOW we were talking about! I paid him the fare and leaped to the curb, not minding a bit about the chilly air that immediately enveloped me.

I stuck my hands out and waited eagerly for flakes to dance into my palms. And would I have even been in my right mind had I not stuck my tongue out too? My first thought: my family will not believe me. They simply won’t. So I snapped some photo evidence and sent it to their sorry 85-degree weather back home.

So there I stood. Amidst the falling snow and unfamiliar surroundings. But as I looked around, I recognized the wooden slats that were home to one of my favorite shops, Anthropologie. Of course, I went inside.

Upon entering, I noticed my reflection in the glassy mirror doors. I spotted a girl with white flecks on her hoodless coat and damp hair from where the snow had melted. Surely, I was a sight.

But nevertheless, I tried on a selection of chic clothing and settled on two vogue blouses. Much to my dismay, they were both a bit pricey, and being the amazing daughter I am, I called my mom, because I was not about to spend $175 irresponsibly.

“Church, class presentations, and sharing my closet with friends,” were the brilliant excuses I invented when convincing my mom I needed those tops. And being the wonderful mother she is, she agreed (thanks again mom if you’re reading this).

During my snow day in Anthropologie, I learned about two things: spontaneity and responsibility. First, every girl needs to go out on a whim, get out of their comfort zone, and follow wherever an hour or so will lead them on their own. Second, call your mom if you’re ever in doubt. She will often be a better voice of reason than any one of us can ever hope to be.