Week 2 Sneak Peek: Detroit Lions vs New York Giants

A closer look before Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and Giants quarterback Eli Manning go head-to-head.

13
Side Lion Report

It's been an interesting week of football season so far--a lot of players got injured and teams people thought would win, in fact lost.

But anyways, that was Week One and now it's time to get ready for Week Two.

The Detroit Lions hosted the Arizona Cardinals in their season opener last Sunday afternoon.

Arizona got an early lead in the first when cornerback Justin Bethel delivered a pick-six just four minutes into the contest. Just seconds before the two-minute warning, kicker Phil Dawson made a 24-yard field goal, making the score 10-0 Cardinals.

It was a back-to-back fight between the two teams throughout the entire game, but it was Detroit who came out victorious with a 35-23 advantage over Arizona.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford had an outstanding game going 29-for-41 for 292 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. Wide receiver Golden Tate had 10 grabs for 107 yards and running back Ameer Abdullah rushed for 30 yards on 15 carries.

As you could probably tell, Detroit claimed good control over the game and had their heads in the right place. For the Giants, however, they struggled a lot in their season opener in Dallas.

With superstar wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. still in question, New York couldn't find a way to get past that last Sunday. They were outplayed by Dallas in every statistical way--the Cowboys had 22 first downs compared to the Giants' 13; Cowboys had 71 plays and Giants with 53; Cowboys had 129 rushing yards and the Giants only had 35.

The only stat the Giants really beat their opponents in was the sacks--quarterback Eli Manning was sacked for three times and lost 22 yards; opposer Dak Prescott was sacked once for five yards.

Dallas took home the win 19-3; New York's only points were from a 25 yard field goal, thanks to kicker Aldrick Rosas.

If both Detroit and New York continue to play how they did in Week 1, I think it's pretty clear which of the two is going to hard a tough time. Manning is going to have to start getting more looks from his offense otherwise he's just going to keep on getting sacked. Giants receiver Brandon Marshall only had one reception for 10 yards in Dallas--that needs to be changed. Second-yard receiver Sterling Shepard has to continue catching those quick looks from Manning because, as of right now, that's all they got.

Stafford has to keep up scoring multiple touchdowns for almost 300 yards if he wants to lead his team to victory. Despite New York's struggling offense, their defense has improved incredibly since the last few years and if he lets them get to him then it's over.

The Giants will host the Lions tonight at 8:30 P.M. EST at MetLife Stadium, and it can be watched on ESPN.