Smollet's Empire Falls

Smollet's Empire Falls

Was it worth it?

32

This has been a horrible week for Empire star Jussie Smollett, who faces a felony charge of filing a false police report, involving a racist, homophobic attack on himself. But today, I'm not going to talk about what the event was. I am here to talk about Smollett himself.

Smollet is a sad disappointment.

Lying to countless of his fans and those who supported him, the ones that he deceived over the time of two weeks the Chicago police could have used to solve actual crimes that happen, such as the ones who actually do suffer from violence homophobic and/or racist attacks. It's a shame to see one so cherished in the eyes of his communities, only to be exposed as the fraud that actually denies the principles of that community. People looked up to him, as a beacon to changing times, only to be disappointed and shocked about what really occurs in the dark. The fact that the beloved sense of trust was broken is the definitions of humiliation, deceit, manipulation, and confusion. This is the ultimate betrayal for those who had your backs before the shit hit the fan, the ones who wanted to stand by your side and take this opportunity to raise crucial awareness for those who feel the physical and psychological pain of hateful discrimination.

Like the death of Matthew Shepard, a gay male student who was beaten, robbed, set afire, tied and left to rot on a fence, only to be found too late, as he slumbered in a six-day coma due to brain damage caused by a pistol-whip to his head before his undeserved and horrific death.

Or the assault of Breaion King, a Black female teacher who was pulled over on the road over a discussion on speed limits, only to be suddenly dragged and slammed onto the hard pavement, all caught on camera, an event escalated by police, with one stating that her people scare others due to "violent tendencies."

That is discrimination incarnate. What Smollet has done is truly horrendous, and should not be taken lightly. Betraying others who supported you, all for the sole purpose of self-gratification, is insulting. And shame on the two men who helped him. What matters now is seeking for true change that invokes respect and love for fellow others who share the air as we do. This is not the way to do it.

So Smollett, was this worth it? Was it worth destroying your reputation, annihilating every feeling of trust others felt for you during your 15-minutes-of-fame? Was it worth lying to the police, who would eventually find out the truth everyone wanted to know? Was it worth it to invoke the name of "justice" on those who you bribed? Was it?

I don't think so. And neither do the rest of those who want to call you out on your narcissistic bullshit, especially those from the communities that you lied to.

Farewell, Jamal Lyon.