Ways To Make The Best New Year's Resolutions

6 Ways To Make The Best New Year's Resolutions AND Keep Them

Be SMART about the goals you set.

45

The anticipation of the New Year can come with such anxiety and pressure. While IT IS a time to celebrate and drink champagne, the resolutions are always; I want to better myself in this way, I want to become more this or more that, or make these changes to my body, my lifestyle, my personality, my wardrobe, my social media, but I think when creating your list you should actually focus on more daily changes that will in the end, actually help you to reach the bigger picture goals you may have in mind.

1. Make goals that you can actually see yourself doing on a daily basis 

Think about your typical Monday-Friday schedule. On top of work, classes, and relationships do you actually have the time to hit the gym every single day as your resolution requires, or will you end up putting it off every day and only make it once or twice a week?

2. Make a schedule 

If your resolution is to be more active, which you haven't been doing consistently, then dedicate your time at the gym to once or twice a week. This will allow you and your body to get used to the added amounts of physical activity and from there you will want (or not) to gradually increase the amount of time your spending at the gym, the track, the playfields, or simply being more active in general.

3. Get a planner 

Some new years resolutions are easy to plan out, while others aren't. If you're able to sit down and write out how you want the new year to look, plan your gym sessions, your social activities, your classes, and your work schedule, then you'll be more dedicated to focusing your attention on those things about your life you want to improve.

4. Find other people with similar goals 

You don't need to do it alone. If you and your friends all want to become better photographers, or go to more yoga classes, maybe even drink less coffee, then you should all hold each other accountable to achieve whatever goal you all may have. Having support from like-minded people, especially when it comes to major life changes can always help you in the end, and maybe even lead to more success. Remember, you don't necessarily need to find a group with the same resolutions, but make sure your friends and family know what you're working towards so they can be of moral support and potentially help you to better your life and reach your personal goals.

5. Be SMART about your resolutions 

As I've learned many times throughout my college courses, it's important for your goals, strategies, and objectives are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. You'll use these characteristics for many aspects of your life, but when it comes to setting goals or in this case achieving your New Years resolutions these will help you out the most.

6. Stay positive.

If you fumble, don't let it get you down. Mark it in your planner as a cheat day, a day you missed and will recover from. One bad day, bad choice or missed class doesn't mean you've failed. The changes you want to make, and the goals you want to achieve are always doable, remember you do have the whole year to perfect these resolutions, just make sure your giving it your all and are dedicated to changes that are doable for YOU.