Should You Set Up a Smart Home in Your Apartment? Read This

Is Setting up a Smart Home System in Your Apartment Worth It? It Depends

Enticed by the idea of smart speakes and tech but not sure if it's worth it for you college apartment? Here's what you need to know.

82

Going to college or moving into your first apartment are life milestones that usually represent opportunities to make your abode reflect your personality and your preferences. In addition to picking out furniture, throw pillows and picture frames, customizing your space often allows for investing in tech gadgets.

If you're feeling tempted to splurge on a smart home system, there are various components you could buy, and they may not all be suitable for your current life situation. Luckily, this listicle will help you become a more informed consumer about several widely available smart products.

Smart Plugs

Smart plugs connect to standard electrical outlets, and allow you to control anything plugged into them with a smartphone app. They even make it possible to operate devices that didn't come with built-in connectivity when you're across the room.

Some smart plugs function on a schedule you set, turning the associated gadgets on and off at the right times. Others let you track energy usage associated with the plug.

Examples: Belkin WeMo Mini, iHome SmartPlug and Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug

The Belkin WeMo Mini, iHome SmartPlug and Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug are some possibilities to think about getting if you want to add smart plugs to your pad, and they're just a sampling of what's available. Most smart plugs work with your existing Wi-Fi connection and don't require additional equipment like hubs or bridging devices, but always check the product specs to be sure.

Are They Worth It?

You can get a smart plug for about $25 and up, which means you can venture into the world of smart home gadgets without spending a lot. You'll probably find smart plugs are worth the money, especially if you or your housemates want to save money by only using electrical devices when needed. Many smart plugs also let people turn lights on before they arrive home, which could be an excellent security safeguard.

Smart Speakers

Smart speakers are the intelligent home devices that kickstarted the overall trend. They play music and podcasts, plus respond to voice commands so that you can search for information or get entertained.

Most smart speakers also work with third-party skills users can install and activate to take care of things like ordering a taxi, tracking a package or checking a bank account.

Examples: Amazon Echo, Google Home or Apple HomePod

The Amazon Echo, Google Home and Apple HomePod arguably lead the way in the smart speaker market, with the first two substantially more prominent than Apple's offering. While the Echo and Google Home have more capabilities overall, the HomePod earns high marks for its sound quality.

Are They Worth It?

You'll set up most smart home devices, including any smart speakers, via Wi-Fi, and the connection enables controlling and monitoring them remotely. People generally agree smart speakers are exceptionally user-friendly from the setup process and beyond.

It's also worth noting the Amazon and Google speakers mentioned above are under $75, and there are even less expensive options if you decide to get a smaller speaker from the product family. Apple is the outlier here concerning price. It doesn't have a budget version of its speaker, so you'll have to pay $299 for it.

Figuring out whether a smart speaker is worth buying means spending time thinking about how you'll use it and whether it'll fill needs other gadgets or apps don't. For example, if you have an Apple iPhone or an Android smartphone running an up-to-date operating system, it already has a built-in voice assistant, so you might not get much extra use from a smart speaker. But, most smart speakers connect to other intelligent home gadgets, which could be a perk.

If you have a severe case of FOMO, buying a smart speaker could help you discover why so many people have embraced this technology trend — and you probably won't regret the purchase. A recent study of people in more than 20 countries found smart speakers have a 96% satisfaction rate among consumers.

Smart Doorbells

Most smart doorbells have integrated cameras. They'll give you an alert on your smartphone when someone's at the door and provide a live feed of what's happening. Then, it's usually possible to use your phone to give the visitor instructions that come through a speaker on an exterior-facing doorbell panel.

The leading smart doorbells have features like night vision and multiple viewing angles to help you get the clearest possible perspectives when assessing the situation on your doorstep. They're also streamlined, and the accompanying apps let you see who's at the door and speak to them even if you're not home.

Examples: Ring Video Doorbell, RemoBell S and Nest Hello Video Doorbell

Put the Ring Video Doorbell, RemoBell S and Nest Hello Video Doorbell at the top of your list as you ponder the pros and cons of buying a smart doorbell. Some of those options allow you to look back at captured footage, which could be useful for keeping an eye on things when you're out of town.

Or, you could get a model that allows giving pre-recorded messages to the people who come calling. Prices typically range from about $100 to $200, depending on the model.

Are They Worth It?

Think about how many visitors you typically get and how often you're not able — or don't want — to answer the door when mulling over this question. If you're in college, consider how easy it is to avoid unplanned visits by setting good boundaries and expectations with the people you know.

Plus, many door-to-door salespeople steer clear of communities populated by college students. They know those consumers might not have the disposable income or decision-making power to help them meet their quotas.

If your situation matches the majority of college students, it's probably not worthwhile to buy a smart doorbell yet. You may want to invest in one after graduating, though.

However, if you've had problems with stalkers, neighborhood kids knocking on the door and running away or any other case where you'd want additional security, a smart doorbell could give you peace of mind through more awareness.

Smart Home Sensibility

The ever-growing assortment of smart home gadgets makes it tempting to buy some and make apartment living more satisfying. The information here covers some of the most widely available products. Aim to apply the same careful judgment no matter which items you buy.

That way, you'll build a smart home sensibly, instead of haphazardly purchasing things you won't need or want after a few months or a year.