Everyone Is Smart, You Might Just Be Different From Those Around You

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
69

This is it. You're sitting in class but maybe you're unable to concentrate, your teacher is speaking but you're not really paying attention or you're unable to really grasp what they are saying. Is it your fault?

Maybe it's a math test being handed back and you find lots of marks on yours but look over at your friends and you see virtually none. You look over at them and go " Wow, you're really smart!" Does this mean your not smart? No.

In school, this is a common occurrence among students and their peers, even as early as elementary school. We define our intelligence and self-worth by the grades we see on our test, how we study or how high our GPA is on a scale (whether that's a 4.0 or higher). But did you know these aren't the only ways to test intelligence?

In Psychology, an outdated version of intelligence is related to the "g-factor" described by Psychologist Charles Spearman. His theory suggests that the "g-factor," or general intelligence, is the existence of a broad mental capacity that influences performance on cognitive ability measures.

Did you know that there are other ways to distinguish intelligence besides the grade you make on a test?

One such intelligence is the Logical-Mathematical Intelligence. This is when a person has the ability to calculate and carry out mathematical operations, as well as mull over hypotheses and propositions (in other words, not me).

They are able to work with numbers and solve equations easily. Math is definitely not a hard subject for them and they might be the type to, later on, become detectives, scientists, and mathematicians.

Then there is the Linguistic Intelligence. This one involves thinking in words and using those words to make themselves understood. People with this type of intelligence are usually public speakers, novelists, journalists, and poets.

They can speak in a way that allows them to appoint complex meanings and express these through the use of language. Young adults with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories, or doing crossword puzzles.

And then there's the Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence. These people typically are involved in some type of physical aspect. People with bodily-kinesthetic intelligence have an almost perfect sense of timing, and their mind-body coordination is nearly faultless.

They are often dancers, surgeons, athletes, or craftsman and usually are well coordinated.

These are just three of the ways, other than grades or how well you do on a test, that can measure intelligence. For the full list, click here.

We’ve all heard the quote attributed to Albert Einstein that claims, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

So remember the next time you're sitting by someone who has got a high grade on their math test or English paper and you didn't, that it's not that you aren't smart enough but that just maybe you don't have the same type of intellect that they do.