In 2020, Lets Celebrate The Small Victories

Like many others in my generation, sometimes I get wrapped up in the pace of everything.

My peers and I are constantly busy studying, working, volunteering, and generally just doing anything other than relaxing. There is always a deadline or event around the corner that we need to be prepared and ready for.

But like many others in my generation, sometimes I slip.

I don't study enough for an algebra test; I forget to submit a homework assignment; I stop taking care of myself; I stop feeling like I'm doing anything worthwhile.

It's hard to remember that just because you fall short on one thing does not mean you fell short on everything. Maybe you did your laundry today, you went to class even though it was the last thing you wanted to do, or you did the smallest assignment that was on your list.

Any little thing is better than nothing at all, and in 2020, it's time we start praising ourselves for getting things done rather than belittling ourselves for neglecting something.

You are going to have days (LOTS of days) where you do not check off everything on your to-do list. And that's OKAY! You are human. You need rest, and productivity will always come in waves. If you try to be productive every waking minute of every day, you will be completely burned out.

Being hard on yourself after not doing something you needed does nothing more than make you less motivated to do your other things, whether it be assignments, meetings, or simply taking care of yourself in general. It creates a negative mindset that makes you feel like you are lesser-than, and it makes for a great excuse to just toss everything else aside.

But if we celebrate those little things we get done - getting ready for the day, making the bed, feeding yourself, taking care of bits and pieces of work - we realize more fully what we've accomplished. We realize that the list of things we did far outnumbers what we didn't, and that tomorrow we can continue to be productive as a whole.

I don't really believe in New Year's Resolutions, but maybe this year we should just aim to change our mindset. Being kinder to yourself is the best thing you can do for your overall well-being.

So go ahead and pat yourself on the back - you read an article today, and that's one more thing than you had done a few minutes ago.