Small Vendors Urge CCI to Keep Preferred Sellers of Flipkart Away From Big Billion Days Sale

Small Vendors Urge

42

5-day Big Billion Days sale will begin from October 10. Small and medium vendors allege marketplaces giving preferential treatment to the certain large seller. Flipkart expects the current year's BBD sale to round up 80% higher GMV than a year ago. A group of online dealers partnered to Flipkart has asked for reasonable trade watchdog, Competition Commission of India (CCI), to confine extensive venders from taking an interest in the 5-day Big Billion Days sale (Flipkart's yearly festive sale) booked to begin from October 10.

Medium and small vendors have consistently affirmed commercial centers giving preferential treatment to certain large dealers, leading out to the unfair rivalry for third-party sellers on these stages. In case of a normal vender, to highlight over the search results, they need to pay sponsor charges or earn good ratings and reviews.

A group of online vendors has moved toward the reasonable trade watchdog, requesting it to restrict some large dealers on Flipkart stage from participating in its upcoming Big Billion Day sale, alleging that the e-commerce platform influence pricing through its preferred sellers. All India Online Vendors Association (AIOVA), which represents more than 3,500 vendors selling on e-commerce platforms, has written to the Competition Commission of India (CCI), alleging that the country's top e-commerce. The e-commerce firm has been lately under fire from online sellers and small traders for its acquisition by Walmart. Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), which represents 70 million traders, has petitioned the National Company Law Appellate Tribuna.

Flipkart flush with funds after it's securing by US retail giant Walmart — is required to engage in deep marking down the war with its nearby rival Amazon this festive season. Its Big Billion Day (BBD) annual festive sales are scheduled for next month. In their petition to CCI, smaller vendors alleged that Flipkart gives preferential treatment to its preferred sellers by reducing their cost of sales such as advertising and logistic expenses. "In the case of a normal seller, to feature on top of the search results, they have to pay sponsor fees or earn better reviews and ratings," the AIOVA petition said. "This includes some efforts, time and capital from the manufacturer/ vendors are doled out for nothing in a discriminatory way to the preferred brands, for example, MarQ, Smartbuy," it said.

ET evaluated a duplicate of the petition. Flipkart didn't comment in the story. Medium and small dealers have previously, as well, complained about commercial centers giving preferential treatment to certain extensive sellers, prompting unfair competition for outsider vendors on these platforms. They have written with several government bodies, including CCI, looking for intervention and requiring an administrative body to be set up for the sector. Flipkart is increasing its in-house brands business in front of the Big Billion Day sale. It expects a multi year-on-year increment in gross merchandise value (GMV) and a number of units sold during its flagship sale occasion, as ET had reported earlier.