One Small Step For Kim Kardashian, One Giant Leap Backwards For Females

More than just a celebrity feud for us to gawk at, but a look into how our society functions and the way we perceive successful females.

usmagizine

With her trendy blond hair and classic red lip, tall supermodel-like body, and carefully constructed image, Taylor Swift makes herself easy to hate. Constantly flaunting her girl squad along with her success can come off as abrasive or egotistical. So it is no surprise that many rooted for Kim Kardashian when she released “evidence” that could tarnish the image Swift has spent the last 10 years creating for herself. However, this situation is more than just a celebrity feud for us to gawk at. It is a look into how our society functions and the way we perceive successful females.

Last week when this whole debacle unfolded, The Guardian wrote, “When stories are published calling Taylor ‘insane’ and a ‘control freak,’ we’re sending a message to young girls and women: You are not allowed to be seen enjoying your success or your sexuality – and you are certainly not to appear to think you deserve either.” The Guardian is right. Taylor Swift is annoying because we’ve been slapped in the face by her success for the past two years. Taylor is the Prom Queen who struts her stuff down the hallway wearing her crown loud and proud while onlookers wait for her designer heels snap so she can fall flat on her face and be brought down to their level. But what society is telling us is that women are only allowed to be successful, as long as they are quiet about it. Studies support this theory and show that men are held to a different professional standard. Unlike females, men are not viewed unfavorably when exhibiting traits such as authoritarianism and competitiveness.

While Kim and Taylor are successful women paving the way for us in their own way, the take-down of another women should never be celebrated. As females, we are making strides everyday by changing the way women are perceived. But when we are happy that a celebrity who is deservingly famous for her talent, which is undeniable by her long list of awards, is “dragged” and her image is tarnished, we are taking a step back in our movement for equality. Taylor Swift’s self-promoting tendencies may be cringe-worthy, but reports have proven that they are a successful way for women to make the playing field even with men. A report from The Catalyst support that women who were more proactive in making their achievements visible will advance further, be more satisfied with their careers, and have greater compensation growth than women who were less focused on calling attention to their successes.

Taylor Swift was caught in a lie based off on the claims she had made about Kanye West only calling her to ask if she would tweet the song. However, Taylor Swift had every right to be upset about the line she did not hear, and has yet to be proven that she heard, “I made that B*tch famous.” That line alone should anger any female who wants to progress in this society and who no longer wants to be referred to with derogatory language and or have their fame being claimed by a male.

You don’t have to like the Hillary Clintons and Taylor Swifts of the world; however, you should respect the road they are paving for women and the barriers they are knocking down for us to come running through. Kim Kardashian may be breaking the internet, but Taylor Swift is breaking down the stigma that females can be successful, and it’s okay for us to show it.