I'm A Slytherin, And I Think Hufflepuffs Are Actually Awesome

You know we Slytherins always speak the truth.

1220

I know what you must be thinking. Wait, what? Hufflepuff and awesome? Told by a Slytherin? None of this makes sense. I can guarantee that when you finish this article not only will you be enlightened, but you will agree with every word written.

Let’s start off with Helga Hufflepuff, one of the four founders. No, wait. Let us actually begin with any muggles who don't understand anything that has been written till now. Yes, I’m talking about you.

The context of this (completely true) opinion is the Harry Potter books, and I will mention that again – books. That is not to say the movies weren't good (Emma Watson, I love you) but that in this argument, we will be referencing the books and only the books.

Now, if you haven't read them, well, I’m sorry for you. Coping with reality without knowing about the magical universe (that exists!) out there is a mystery to me. For all you poor souls, I’d advise you take some time off and read the beautiful collection of the seven books that constitute the Harry Potter series. It’s worth it.

Now, moving on. Not only was Helga Hufflepuff brave, kind, and fair, she was the only founder that took any child without any prerequisite except to have the curiosity of knowledge. This is the correct way to do education.

She was the epitome of mercy, kindness and second chances and she showcased how these qualities made her strong, stronger than the others who valued fickle things like lineage, wit, and bravery. Being from the correct family, or having a high IQ, or having the guts to skydive doesn't make you a good person.

What makes you a good person is who you are, your morals, your capacity for kindness and forgiveness.

I must clarify that this doesn't mean Rowena Ravenclaw wasn't the most badass female icon (after Minerva McGonagall, obviously) that existed in her time, but choosing to teach those with the smartest knowledge is just being biased and doesn't make her better than Helga.

And yes, Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin had their impressive knowledge, wisdom, and good intentions, but Helga surpasses them because she was openminded and uninfluenced by the threat of the muggles figuring out magic existed. Was it smart? Not really. (And this is why I'm in Slytherin: I’m too pragmatic). But, it was noble and the right thing to do in the end.

The question might have popped into your head: why is a Slytherin saying all this? Aren't they all, like, super prideful about being in the evil house?

Um, first of all, yes I'm very proud of being Slytherin (it is always going to be a competition in my head between Hufflepuff and Slytherin being the best house). I'm not going to say we aren't evil, for everyone has the capacity of being evil, but that doesn't mean we are "the evil house."

Have you forgotten about Peter Pettigrew? Do I need to mention Dumbledore or are we still pretending that he was all jolly and good?(Too soon?) As a Slytherin, I think that we empathize with Hufflepuffs. No, they aren't the ones who were left behind or the ones who aren't good at anything. In the same way, I am not in Slytherin because "I want attention" or because "I'm messed up."

They deserve to belong as much as the other houses do. And frankly, they get to belong more.

Let me list out the names of the people who were in the legendary house that is Hufflepuff: Nymphadora Tonks. Do I really need to elaborate on her? She was honestly one of the most real characters portrayed in the books. She could choose to look like the prettiest person in the world but she went out with her own face and pink hair? She’s #goals.

Cedric Diggory. (Please give me a moment, I’m still not over his death.) Not only did Dumbledore himself say that Cedric was strong, brave, kind, and moral, but also Cedric helped Harry (very inexperienced in magic at that time and realistically had no chance at the Cup) and saved him by sacrificing himself. I don't know about you, but he is the ideal person to be.

Two of my best friends are Hufflepuff (you know who you are!), and they are the best people I’ve ever had the luck to meet.

Basically next time anyone says “I’m so glad I'm not in Hufflepuff” realize that there is a reason that they aren't in that house and it’s not because they are "better than that.”