Be Slow To Anger

Be Slow To Anger

Anger meant for action.

24
Be Slow To Anger
Jonathon Reed

I have been angry. I have shouted with burnt lungs, cried with red eyes, and slept with a bitter heart. This anger is a part of our human experience. We groan when that slow barista takes up our precious time, we are upset when our children fail us, and our hearts are arrested by the injustice that we find in this world. Anger is part of the all-encompassing emotional experience of human nature.

But often times I see this anger, used not as a warning sign, but as a small spark that all too quickly ignites into a full blown flame. I may quote this often, but the accuracy is uncanny-- in Charlie Chaplain's speech from The Great Dictator, he says, "We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in...The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all."

We have developed this speed-- this ability to gain vast information lays at the hollow of our hand. But, so does the ability to destroy. The ability to make anonymous comments, to post for hours on end our opinions, and to tear apart our brother, and scream, "I'm offended!" whenever an opposing opinion finds its way onto our screen. Social media has made us selfish, has almost hardened our hearts to those who feel, think, and believe differently than our own selves.

What I have noticed about anger is that does not often take time to consider another. It can be a blind rage-- anger can turn to selfishness in any instant. But Ephesians 4:26 tells us, "In your anger, do not sin."

Anger is meant to lead us to action. Anger is not meant to be a furnace inside of us, letting the coals screech out and until our tongues burn with hatred toward our neighbor. In such recent cases like the gorilla, Harambe, and the child that fell into his enclosure, why were we so quick to post absolutely horrendous comments about the parent? Friends, this situation was heartbreaking all-around, there is absolutely no getting around that. But what truly breaks my heart is the way in which we treated the mother. We tore her apart, we deemed her stupid, terrible, and worthy of child abuse. I cannot imagine the guilt that weighs upon this woman's heart. Where is our grace, our compassion? We love ripping one another apart, claiming we know what is just-- we love having someone to blame and to crush underfoot. Are we not the ones to always quote John 8:7, "...but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” What are we doing with ourselves?

We become what we believe. Opposing views seem to offend us deeper than they ever should. Are we truly angered by injustice, or do we simply scream in order to be heard, in order to join the rest in their shouts?

Please, lay yourself down. You will be angry, and you will feel as if your heart and your tongue are both uncontrollable in that instant. But I implore you, "...be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. " (James 1:19). Consider your brothers and sisters. Consider that perhaps they have reason to what they believe, that they have opinions that are validated, that they have hearts that beat with purpose.

Get out from behind your screen, look someone in the eye.Believe it or not, but people can be so greatly different in person. The Internet has become a breeding ground for hatred and for ignorant group-think. Some of the most valuable conversations I have had have been with someone who thought differently than me, who shared a view that even conflicted with my own.

It is impossible for everyone to be collective in thought, this earth as we know it now will never contain the peace we so desire. But we can try. We can be decent with one another, and dare I say, love one another?

Let your anger be slow, let it be a mere spark, a mere springboard, into fighting for those who are weak, poor, and in need. Have compassion, as there is someone out there hurting, there is someone out there in desperate need of Christ's love.