Slow And Steady Actually Wins The Race

Slow And Steady Actually Wins The Race

There is no question that hard work will help you get you to where you want to be, but it is also easy to also fall into the trap of becoming excessively overwhelmed.

52
Slow And Steady Actually Wins The Race
Victoria Heath (Unsplash)

The other day, I was mindlessly scrolling through my Instagram explore page - an endless series of pictures of Reddit threads, posts for thousand-dollar guitar equipment on sale, and random clips of trending TikTok videos.

Occasionally, I'd also come across posts worth saving because it speaks many truths. The other day, there was this post that read:

"Sorry I didn't text back. I forgot. Most days I struggle to even manage simple tasks, the amount of energy it takes to talk to others is almost unbearable"

This post helped me realize that besides simply replying to peoples' texts, we are also expected to do literally everything else in an instant. Whether you're a full-time student or worker, you may know the feeling of having to fulfill all sorts of obligations and meet all kinds of expectations instantly, leaving no time to be mindful of how you are doing.

We're drawn to a hurried lifestyle that encourages people to pick up the pace in striving towards material gain. After all, more work can bring in more rewards. Anything that's slow is seen as unproductive, and as a result, unfavorable in a race towards achieving success quickly.

Does any part of that sound like you? If so, here are some things to consider doing when going about your day-to-day responsibilities.

Consider cutting out all types of excessive "busyness"

People will treat busyness as if it is something that is honorable and worthy of an award. Though it is good to be responsible, too much responsibility can stop you from completing the most critical tasks at hand. Lighten up the "to-do list" by prioritizing the things that will help you attain your goals first; doing that will allow you to direct more focus and energy into those tasks. Focus on what is important!

Know that the majority of output comes from a minority of input.

The 80-20 Principle, or the Pareto Principle, says that 20% of our effort (the input) produces 80% of the results (the output). From language to healthcare to wealth, the rule applies to all aspects of our life. When working, 80% of your time is spent doing 20% of your tasks - knowing what tasks make up this amount will help separate the ones that are mundane from the ones that will bring you the most benefit.

Practice single-tasking instead of multi-tasking.

Trying to handle many tasks at once can be counterproductive because it requires you to switch between skill sets; it can overcomplicate your agenda and make you less efficient. We're drawn to the idea of being able to complete several things in a given amount of time, but it takes more energy to worry about several tasks at once. Giving your full attention to what is in front of you will help you think deeper and help you develop more creative ideas.