Sleep: What You're Doing Wrong

Sleep: What You're Doing Wrong

How your sleep patterns influence your study skills

12
Sleep: What You're Doing Wrong
Karnavir Rana

So it's Sunday night, 4 AM you're up doing homework and you cannot sleep because you need to get it done. This was me, all the time, this is all I did, I used to stay up, pull all nighters all the time and sleep in till 11 in the morning. This was until I changed one thing that created time for me to do everything and still have time left over.

When I came back from India after winter break, I was really jet lagged, this made me wake up at six AM the first few days of school, and when I did, I realized why waking up early is so helpful for my day.

On some days, my earliest class was at 9 am, on others it was at 1 pm, but even if at nine, I would have three hours of time to plan my day and do my homework before my class. It made me realize that just because it was morning, I was much more productive, I managed to overcome my procrastination, the main reason being I wasn't aching to go to bed, instead I really wanted to get out of bed because I had eight hours of sleep in me already.

Also, I realized that after 9 pm, I am not productive at all. I feel like I have the whole night so I'm constantly on my phone and getting distracted by friends. In the morning, however, I realized that since nobody was awake I was able to finish quite a bit of work in two hours, that would've taken me four to complete at night.

Most CEOs, whether from General Motors, Xerox or even Apple are early risers. It is the way they get the most out of their day. I'm sure that if you were to try it, it would benefit you tremendously.

Sleep early, I double dare you.