12 Slang Terms Only Lindenwood Students Understand

Just trying to not get stopped by the goose trap.

295
Twitter

As we are all packing up our things to move in for yet another year as a Lindenwood Lion, the excitement cannot be contained. Although we go to a small, private college, we would not trade the memories for the world. Lindenwood has a piece of our heart, and we will forever remember the slang words we all used when we graduate and no longer attend. Long live the lion.

1. “Spelly”

A term to refer to The Spellmann Center where the dining hall, computer labs, and classrooms are located. “I was thinking about getting Spelly for dinner tonight. Do you want to meet there?”

2. “NARP”

An abbreviation for “Non-Athletic, Regular Person,” referring to students who are not student athletes. *Goes to party, and gets asked the golden question.* “What sport do you play?” “I don’t play a sport…” “Oh, so you’re a NARP?”

3. “On The Floor”

A term to reference those in Greek Life who live on the first floor of the dorm that their organization lives in. “What dorm are you living in this year?” “On the floor.”

4. “Main”

A word that refers to going out to bars located on Main Street. LU does not have the so-called frat parties that other universities do, so you’ll find most of the student body out on Main Street. *Goes to class.* “Wanna go to main tonight?!”

5. “Old Side/ New Side”

A reference describing which side someone or something is located on campus. “Old Side” has all of the old buildings such as the older dorms, Roemer, the old library, pretty much anything with the word old before it. “New Side” has the newer dorms, Scheidegger, The Evans Commons, and The Hyland Arena. However, there is one where you must clarify what side you are talking about otherwise you will confuse others. New Ayres, or Old Ayres. Get it right people!! “I’m not sure where that building is located…” “It’s across from the library on old side.”

6. “LARC”

A term we will all pick up soon enough, abbreviating the phrase “Library and Resource Center.” Most of us refer to it as “the new library” right now, but that will change with time I’m sure. How it is used today: “I cannot wait for the new library to open!!” How it is to be used in the future: “What are you doing tonight?” “You can find me in the LARC.”

7. “Lindenhood”

An adjustment to the word “Lindenwood” to make ourselves sound cooler. “Where will you be attending college?” “Lindenhood.”

8. “The Grab and Go”

A phrase referring to a place to get breakfast or lunch only on weekdays; however, it always seems that the craving for their pizza comes around dinner time when they are closed. It is meant to be a quick meal place, but there are also tables for you to enjoy your meal with friends. “Where are you getting lunch today?” “I’m at Grab and Go! Come eat with me!”

9. “Sibs”

A nickname given to Sibley Hall, one of the girl dorms on campus. If you hear any stories about Mary Sibley, just know that this dorm is known to be the one she haunts. “Have you heard about the haunted dorm?! We must stay in Sibs for one night to see if anything exciting happens.”

10. “Starbs”

Typically used with an exclamation or question mark after it. This term used to be rare to hear on campus, but the LARC will begin to feed into our addiction this year. “Want to grab Starbs before class?” “Yes, STARBS!!!”

11. “Mount Roemer”

A nonexistent mountain that refers to Roemer Hall. It is the oldest building on campus, and therefore has no elevator. When you have class, you must take the stairs and enjoy the journey of climbing the good ole Mount Roemer. “What happened to your foot?!” “I fell down Mount Roemer.”

12. “Goose Trap”

A regular encounter a student may experience on the way to the dining hall, class, or just a stroll on campus. If you cross their path, you may get chased. Every student knows that you must cross with caution (while recording a Snapchat video of course). “It’s the goose!!! Get a video of me running at it then me running away from it!!!”