9 Skincare Lessons I’ve Learned Over The Years
Beauty Fashion

It took a lot of trial and error.

178

I always assumed I would be free of acne by the time I was in college. Little did I know my skin would still suffer like it did during my early adolescent years. I always liked makeup, but I didn't like it enough to learn how to do my face. I didn't really care about skincare either. I always left the house without sunscreen and moisturizer, which now seems like leaving the house completely naked. I believe my passion for skincare and makeup developed as I grew up and became more conscious about the importance of having a healthy skin. My mom started taking care of her skin when she was in her late twenties, and since I was little I always saw how dedicated she was about having a healthy and youthful complexion. Nevertheless, it took me a long time to really understand that the treatment my skin gets now will affect how my skin will look in the future. My mom is the person that influenced me the most. I realized I would be lucky if I look like her when I am her age; that woman looks 10 years younger than she really is, her skin is super healthy, and she has never had any cosmetic procedures!

These are some of the things that I've learned and that have worked for me.

NEVER DRY YOUR FACE WITH YOUR HAND TOWEL!

I can't stress this one enough. They have tons of bacteria, which can lead to breakouts.

Don’t over-exfoliate, once or twice a week is enough.

I was in 9th grade when a dermatologist gave me a scrub, which according to him I had to use every day to wash my face. My face was always red and I still had acne because I was exfoliating my face every single day. It took me a long time before I realized what I was doing to my skin.

Moisturizing is actually important, even if you have oily skin.

I've always had sensitive, oily skin. I always stayed away from moisturizers because I thought they would make things worse. However, without moisture your skin can actually start producing more oil, which can lead to more breakouts. I love La Roche-Posay's gel moisturizers because they are super light and you can barely feel them.

Don’t pop your pimples.

It's easier said than done. I am usually great at exercising self-control and I am able to keep my hands off my face for two or three days, but when times goes by and I still have that horrendous thing on my face I can't help it. However, I recently discovered acne patches, which apparently work overnight and absorb everything. I still have to try them, but they seem like a good solution for those who can't help picking their face. Also, avoid touching your face in general because hands get very dirty.

Apply sunscreen every day, like your life depends on it.

I think this one is pretty obvious. I strongly believe sunscreen is the true elixir of youth.

Wash your pillowcases every week.

Even though we go to bed with a clean face (that is if you wash your face every night, which you NEED to do), we still sweat throughout the night. I recently bought silk pillowcases because they are known for helping with skin irritation and potentially improving your skin's complexion. I got a set of two at Target for $16.

Let your skin breathe.

I know people who leave their homes every morning with a full face of makeup. I personally don't like that for myself because I prefer a more natural look. However, I do think it's important to let your skin rest at least once a week so your pores don't get clogged.

Switch to a sulfate-free shampoo if your skin gets irritated easily.

I always breakout around my temples, very close to my hairline. Sometimes I get blind pimples, which are the worst because they are super painful and impossible to pop. I wash my hair every single day, and deep down I know that might not be the smartest thing to do. I hadn't realized that the sulfates from my shampoo were too harsh on my skin, but when I did, I changed to a sulfate-free shampoo from OGX. My breakouts have decreased significantly since I started using O2 by OGX, which is perfect for people with fine hair like me.

Face masks are your best friends.

I believe face masks cure everything and they are perfect for any occasion. Broken heart? Apply a face mask. Anxious? Face mask. Bored? Face mask. Happy? Face mask. I recently tried Garnier's SkinActive Moisture Bomb and looooved it. DIY face masks are also great, like oatmeal with honey or plain yogurt.