6 Ways To Not Only Tolerate Singleness, But Celebrate It

You’re a pretty cool person, and that fact doesn’t depend on any man.
525

Contrary to how the world and media portray it, singleness is a wonderful time of life with fewer concerns and more opportunities to find yourself. It should be a celebration of you, your talents, abilities, the way you care for others, and how you work toward achieving your goals! If you’re currently in a dating relationship, perhaps you view singleness as a lonely time from your past, or relate it to what life would be like without your significant other.

Maybe you're on the other side of the equation and have been single for years. Did you ever stop and realize just how much potential singleness has? In either case, consider these six ways to celebrate during singleness.

1. Build Friendships

Singleness is a great time for strengthening current friendships and making yourself available for new ones. There are so many people to meet, and you are EXTRA free to hang out with them! They’ll become your people—a wonderful support system to lean on and to make memories with. And it could be that somebody is praying for a friend like you, so be on the lookout.

2. Try Something New

If you’re living on a college campus, chances are there are some pretty great clubs and activities available to you. Take advantage of them! Try a dance class, join an intramural, or get really into the tea club. Teach yourself to play piano, or ukulele, or go sing at an open mic night. Who knows—you might find your next major hobby.

3. Look Nice Just For Fun

Experiment with styles, and take pride in how you look! Don’t do it with the intention of catching someone else’s eye; do it to catch your own. Look in the mirror and say, “Geez, you look cute today.” It’s not narcissistic… well, maybe a little… but it’s fun to be your biggest admirer. And maybe through it all, you realize you like yourself better without all the makeup and frills. That’s a wonderful revelation to come to.

4. Make Health a Focus

Just because you’re not out on hot dates doesn’t mean you can’t hang out with your group of friends, but make health a priority. Get those extra hours of sleep. Enjoy your time at the gym—as I’ve found out, it’s SUPER fun to work out with a couple of close friends.

Be good to your body by filling it with wholesome & tasty fruits and vegetables, and keep yourself from getting sick! You’ll find yourself having more energy and a brighter outlook.

5. Take Time To Do What You Love

Whether it’s reading a good book for hours on end or wearing sweats and eating chocolate while you snuggle up and watch a rom-com, singleness is a time for you. Treat yourself to an aesthetically-pleasing coffee date. Paint canvases. Write poems. You’re a pretty cool person, and that fact doesn’t depend on any man.

6. Quit Searching

Perhaps easier said than done, but are you truly enjoying singleness if your heart and imagination jump to every “possible suitor” you meet? No, you’re not. To fully enjoy this season of life, you need to hand your dreams and ideals over to God, because He promises His plan is greater than anything you could ever ask or imagine.

That’s crazy, isn’t it? I’d like to think I have a pretty exemplary imagination, yet His plan is still greater. It takes trust, but I’ve found no safer hiding place for my heart than in His hands.