Six Trends That Need to Come Back

Six Trends That Need to Come Back

We Peaked in the '90s

Every couple of years, there is a distinct trend that captivates the population and becomes a symbol for the generation. When trends eventually fade out, people look back and usually wonder why they ever partook in such a ridiculous fashion or hairdo. But I believe that some of these ‘outdated’ trends are staples of fashion and design, and shouldn’t be dismissed. Here are a couple examples of trends that faded out too quickly and should be brought back into present day style.

1. Chokers

This is a trend that has slowly been resurfacing over the last couple years among twenty-something year olds. I do admit that some look absolutely ridiculous donning a black line across their neck, but most people can pull off this look easily and rock the edgy '90s style with ease.

2. Mood Rings

Don’t you remember back in the day when your parents would give you quarters to use on the bubblegum machines? You would put those two-quarters in, crank the knob, and hope that the little plastic ball rolling out contained a coveted mood ring. How else would someone know how he or she was truly feeling? These rings also paved way for multiple new pick up lines and digs, stepping your middle school sass game way up.

3. Huge Hoop Earrings

When this craze hit its peak, I wasn’t allowed to have my ears pierced, but thankfully Claire’s had a line of clip-on hoop earrings. Who didn’t love spinning their head around to feel cold pieces of metal hit their cheeks? All dangly earrings gave you the feeling of maturity and class, like a real grown up.

4. Ugg Boots

Ugg boots are one of the few trends that was especially heartbreaking to see go. Every time you put on a pair, it felt like two mystical clouds were engulfing your feet. Although these boots came at a steep price, with proper care and avoidance of puddles, they could last you a while. Hopefully the classic black, brown, and camel colors come back. Please leave the bright pink sequined Uggs at home, no one wants to see those.

5. Velour Track Suits

When I was in middle school, I’ll admit I genuinely wanted to be a cool mom who wore matching Juicy track suits to the grocery store. And if I were being honest, life would be so much easier if all I had to do was choose which color jumpsuit to adorn that day. From what I remember, these jumpsuits were pretty comfortable, and the back pockets made even the most awkward 12-year-old's butt look fantastic.

6. Scrunchies

I am confused why these ever went out of style. Personally, my hair is extremely thin, and scrunchies were pretty much its savior. The thick elastic and soft fabric holding your hair in place wasn’t just useful, but also stylish. The array of colors matched any outfit, whether you wanted a classic black or navy for a subtle, chic look, or a bright pink to show the world your confidence. The cheap price of these accessories let girls have a huge selection of choices, unlike today's boring thin elastics that I swear pull out half of my hair every time I use them.

These six trends reached their peak in the '90s, but unfortunately fell into the ‘fashion faux pas’ category in the 2000s. Hopefully, with a combined effort, we can resurrect these iconic looks and go back to the good ol’ days when we were preteens without a care in the world.