How Sitting Has Transformed Into Kneeling In The NFL

The fact that the NFL players, men looked up to by young people all over, standing in unity, to protest what they believe in, is truly American.
11

From the beginning of Trump's presidency, he has been a very controversial president. Some admire his lack of processing thoughts before actions, and others, like myself, wish he would start thinking a more before opening his mouth.

Trump's last freak out is not one to turn the other way to. Trump has had a battle with the NFL before, and this is just a reason for him to try to battle them once again.

After NFL football player, Colin Kaepernick, sat for the National Anthem in a pre-season game in 2016, the sparks began to fly about this controversy. Kaepernick later stated, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." Kaepernick is now a free agent, many believing his race and this situation had a lot to do with it.

Sitting has now transformed into kneeling, as the entire Cowboys football team, including the coach knelt during the game. President Trump saw this act of protest and later tweeted, "...should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!" This tweet and with Trump calling the protesting football members "sons of bitches" sent me into a frenzy.

It has been stated over and over again, this protest is not about the flag, our nation or the people who have served/died for it. This has always been about race and the police brutality going on in America. In my opinion, I think the fact that the NFL players, men looked up to by young people all over, standing in unity, to protest what they believe in, is truly American.

It angers me the most that the President has not denounced the white supremacists that were at the Charlottesville protests, but is more angered by football players peacefully and quietly protesting. This adds onto my already low tolerance for him.

In the end, there are going to be more and more football teams to do peaceful protests like this without letting Trump's unkind, and unprofessional words effect them.

I hope that other professional sports teams that feel the same as these angered football teams should speak out as they did. Unite, organize, and empower the young people of America. I know I felt more proud as an American than I have in a long time when I saw these men exercising their rights. It's a learning lesson, young or old, Americans all over can take.