9 Reasons My Sister Isn't Just My Sister, She's My Person

This one is for you, sis.
2165

She's known me from day one. She probably knows me better than I know myself, and is my best friend and loves me no matter what. Even though she still blames me for the death of her beloved fish "Fred" from 14 years ago.

1. Let's face it. She's my second mom.

She has kept me in line ever since I can remember. I've thrown some sass around in my lifetime and have overreacted about some things. But, no problem. She will be there to pull me aside to give me her legit "listen to my wise words or else" facial expression, and put me right back in my place.

And don't think about putting it past her to try and ground you. Because she will. There have been times where I have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, so she flat out told me to get over myself. And then proceeded to offer me a cup of coffee and a hug. Because even though she has to terminate my sass sometimes, she's still the coolest.

2. She will give me her honest opinion, whether I ask for it or not.

Maybe it's been about an outfit that I almost bought, that she knew I would regret buying later. Or maybe a boy from the past that she despised, only because he was no Prince Charming and she knew it. I've made some horrible recipes a few times in my life (thanks for the letdown, Pinterest) and she was the first to tell me bad news. It might have hurt my feelings for a few minutes.

But my opinionated sister saved me from making that distasteful dish ever again, and instead praised the dishes that she knew wouldn't cause anyone serious intestinal PTSD. Thanks, sis!

3. She lets me vent about unnecessary things.

Maybe it was over the fact that the coffee shop put everything in my "coffee" except the actual coffee itself. You know, the life-giving portion of the overpriced drink. So then I was basically stuck with lukewarm pumpkin milk with a dash of severe disappointment on top.

Feathers were ruffled. I needed to talk to someone about this.

And my sister was there to accept my venting, even if there was some sisterly judgment involved. Whether it be unnecessary or serious matters, she is always there ready to listen.

4. She's always down for some throwback tunes.

From *NSYNC, to the Backstreet Boys, and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. She is always down to dramatically sing and dance to some popular but horrifyingly cheesy tunes from the good ole' days. She is also one of my favorite dance floor partners, and will still act like she knows me when I start to "dance" and appear as if I have ants in my bra.

5. She sacrificed herself as the "guinea pig" child.

She wasn't allowed to watch some of the famous 90s cartoons because our parents saw some "disobedient and disrespectful" content in them. But being the second and last child they had, I got away with it. And she still hasn't let me forget about it. But I look back on those glory days of watching "Rugrats" on Saturday mornings and wonder how she survived missing out on that show at the age of six. What a trooper!

6. She's my awkward social situation companion.

Weddings. Birthday parties. Any type of get-together that might consist mostly of people who are about 30-50 decades older than you. And the fear of having to awkwardly and shamefully repeat yourself at a higher volume than your accustomed to because the super adultier adult can't hear you the first 7 times you answer their question.

And then sometimes you realize that the very adorable, but talkative elderly woman lady that you are talking to has been informing you about her grandkids for the past 15 minutes without a break or breath. It happens to me every time. But my sister is there (usually laughing at me from across the room) but sometimes gets me out of it by telling me that I'm "needed elsewhere". Thanks for saving my forever-awkward butt, sis.

7. Sister bonding activities, of course.

Crafty Christmas decorating and shopping, a good glass of wine, and that one TV show that we can both quote and relate to everyday life. And brunch. Especially brunch. Sharing the same "obsessions" with her is literally the best. Would we like a mimosa with our chicken and waffles? Yes. Yes, we would.

8. We still laugh at each other's most embarrassing and traumatizing moments.

Anyone who has a sister knows that embarrassing stories about you will come out sooner or later. My sister and I still laugh and make fun of each other about the embarrassing memories from the past. Like that time that her Winnie The Pooh obsession scored us both a Winnie The Pooh themed bathroom, making us the coolest kids in school.

And it definitely helped that at the time, my parents were walking my prone-to-spontaneous-adventures self around on a leash.

And let's not forget to look back on our fashion trends in middle school. Two different time periods as we are 7 years apart, but just as cringy. The old photos prove that between our too-tight ponytail and heavily applied deep blue eyeshadow, middle school was the most awkward stages in our lives. We giggle looking at the photos now, but we will always be cringing over them deep down.

9. She always has been and always will be my best friend.

What I have learned in life, is that friends come and go. But sisters are forever. My sister has always been there for me, no matter what life may throw at me. She knows some of my deepest secrets, and I can trust her to keep them safe. She has made some of my worst days a million times better, just by being herself. She can make anyone smile, as she got our dad's humor and quick wit.

Everyone who comes in contact with her knows instantly that she is so beautiful, both inside and out. Growing up with her has been one of the greatest adventures, and she will always be one of the biggest blessings in my life. The list could seriously go on forever. But I will never be able to thank her enough for all that she has done for me.

Thank you for being my person, sis.