10 Ways To Treat Yo Single Self This Valentine's Day

This year, be your own special someone to spoil.

93
@gypsytan

Valentine’s Day is rolling around, and if you’re reading this, you, like me, don’t have a special someone to spoil this year. SIKE. Just kidding. YOU’RE the special person you’re going to spoil this year. If you don’t know where to begin with your day of pampering, here’s a few ideas, from the simple to the grand, to get you started.

1. A really yummy cup of coffee/tea

As in, order something fancy with cute latte art or some extra cinnamon in it, and really sit down and savor it, not just your chug down during your usual brew as you scurry between errands and classes. This one is simple but highly effective. Sometimes we forget that we drink hot beverages not only because of the caffeine or source of warmth but because they’re actually freakin’ delish.

2. Your favorite snack and movie

I, personally can’t even remember the last time I watched “The Princess Bride” AKA the best move ever and munched on some Pirate’s Booty (if you haven’t had the Booty, by the way, you’re missing out!). It’s something I totally plan on doing this Valentine’s Day for a pick-me-up.

3. A good book

We can’t forget who’s writing this article right now. Buying myself a book always puts a smile on my face. I put myself on a ban, so you don’t need to. I’m sure everyone on earth is far more reasonable with their book-buying habits than me. You can even take your snacks from item two and grub on them whilst curled up with a good book when your movie ends.

4. A spa day

Nothing says relaxation like a good massage or mani-pedi. Yes, fellas, I’m looking at you too. Just a touch of extra self-care is a nice little way to remind yourself how great you are and deserve to be treated when on Valentine’s Day.

5. Baked goods

Bonus points if you bake for yourself. I always catch myself baking for parties with other people and leaving the ugly ones of the batch for myself. Well this year, I will eat ALL THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. ALL. OF. THEM.

6. A new ‘do

I am all for haircuts for a little change, so I’m planning on a trim close to V-Day too. It’s another form of self-care like a spa day, and let’s all admit that getting your hair washed at a salon (a.k.a getting a glorious scalp massage) is the best thing ever.

Also, as Schmidt from “New Girl” said, a “blow-out can give a woman too much confidence.” But is there really such a thing as too much confidence? And is it really just limited to women? The answer to both: NO!

7. Take a class for a new hobby

If you’ve ever wanted to do a Paint Nite, get started on writing that novel, or pick up basically any new hobby, then take yourself on a date to a class or workshop in your area. Who knows, maybe that one class will open the door to a new passion.

8. A friend date

If you’re insistent on spoiling someone else on the 14th, pair up with a fellow single friend and promise to exchange mushy, mega-corny Valentine’s gifts with each other. Not only will you get a nice little something, but giving a gift to someone else just because, will spread positivity.

9. A new body mod

Only if you’ve been thinking about one for a while, because piercings and tattoos, especially tattoos, are a huge commitment. Have you been wanting to your nose pierced, or had your eye on that cool tattoo design for your bicep? Meditate on it, and then do it! Again, no impulse mods allowed for this one but if you really do want a bigger change than a new hairdo, then dive right in.

10. A pet? (USE CAUTION AND COMMON SENSE HERE. PLEASE!)

Another big commitment, I would only do this if getting a new pet has been on your mind for a while, just like a piercing or a tattoo. In the cold New York winter, animal shelters are teeming with puppies and kittens ready to provide you with a life time of unconditional love. What better way to commemorate the Day of Love finally adopting one of those little furballs you’ve wanted for so long?

Single people, whether newly single or chronically: we can get through Valentine’s Day! And remember, if the day really has you down: it’s just another Wednesday because love ought to be spread 365 days a year.