Stop Assuming That "Single Teen Moms" Are From The Bottom Of The Barrel

Your stereotype of me actually sucks.

433
Sam Peebles' Photography

Single. Teen. Mom. Those three words bring up a crude picture in most people's minds. For that reason alone, I never use that title to describe myself. I'm one of the three - either I'm single, 19, or a mom. When I add them all together, people dissolve right in front of me. It's actually kind of interesting to watch.

I know what you're thinking...

I'm just another trashy girl that has thrown her life away, right? I pawn my kid off and party every weekend, right? I leech off of the government, right? I'm never going to be anything, right? Wrong. Here's my story, in short:

I gave birth to my son on the second day of my senior year in high school. I had been in an online K12 program for two years at that point so I would be able to work while in school. (Fast-forward, I graduated THIRD in my huge graduating class, mainly because I was doing school work in the hospital bed after having my son). While I never imagined myself to be a parent at the young age of 17, I was. I accepted my fate the day I took the test, I was going to be the best mom I could be.

For the first six months of my pregnancy, abortion was a common word to be thrown at me. "You could make this a lot easier..." I called BS. I put my son above my plans and wants and needs. He was dependent on me to bring him into this world, then protect him from it. I did everything I could do to maintain a healthy pregnancy, and he was perfectly healthy and beautiful when he was born, despite the unwell wishes of a lot of people I used to know.

I realized my fate as a single mom not long into my son's life. This story is for another time on another day, but, for the sake of this article, it was the best decision I ever made.

However, I knew it would be hard. I had little formal work experience. I was a cashier for two years and was fired as soon as I broke the pregnancy news. I couldn't do it making $7.25, so I shot for a higher bar.

While my son was still in size 1 diapers, I was applying for college. My grades were high, but my flexibility was low. I refused to consider daycare as an option, and I needed to stay close to home. So I chose Georgia Southern. I was accepted, and I am going to graduate with my bachelor's degree two and a half years ahead of schedule. My tuition is fully paid for (and, get this, there are exactly ZERO grants/scholarships for teen moms in college, despite what you may think).

[Let me add a plug here for Paige, Jenna, and Alison: joining the Student-Parent Org at GSU was a life saver for me. These three chicks give me hope on the bad days. Every University needs an organization for student-parents.]

Meanwhile, I make ends meet. I am not on any government assistance because I do not need to be, even though I'm sure I qualify. Some teen moms are, and rightfully so. But we all aren't just out here making children to steal your tax dollars, I promise.

I am fully able to maintain a 4.0 GPA, bring in cash, and make sure I am raising my son to be an amazing man one day. I don't party (I don't even have friends, so, this one is easy). I don't pawn my kid off on people. I am home every night (and nearly every day) with my son. I don't take hand-outs, the "easy way", or BS from anyone. I earn everything I get.

My point here is that I am sick of the words "single teen mom" defining me and sounding terrible while doing so. I am much more than that nasty label.

Stop assuming that "single teen moms" are the bottom of the barrel, we often have more drive and motivation than "normal" teenagers.

I wake up every single day with a purpose. I have no choice but to do well in school because I know that the chump change I bring in now from odd jobs will never be able to keep me and my son out of poverty.

I know that I have a darling one year old who doesn't understand that the world is crazy, and I have to be a role model for him. I can't let him watch me fail or slack, I'm raising a winner, here. We succeed in this household. I refuse to raise my son into a man that doesn't value hard work and determination. He may never realize when he is older that I went through a lot early on to make it all work, but by showing him what it means to never give up or back down now, I'm setting the tone for the rest of his life.

I've had to try to read my son a book while reading one of my own. There are times when I have to write essays and blog posts while he's watching a cartoon. I have learned how to manage; otherwise, nothing would ever be done. Usually, it flows smoothly.

Let me tell you this, however. There are bad days. There are days when I wish I had less responsibility, like everyone else my age. There are days when I get so lonely that I talk to myself for far too long. There are days when I could pull my hair out. There are days when I don't want to even get out of bed (as well as days when I never am able to even get in bed). Moreover, there are days when I could scream and cry to anyone who would want to listen for .01 seconds. Those days come and go. I get through them. They're only temporary.

So, this is the way my life works: I do what has to be done. It's that simple.

I hear more moaning and crying from people with no children, no job, no bills, and no responsibility than I ever hear from myself. I don't have time to complain because I'm over here working my butt off to make sure everything is taken care of.

Single teen moms come in all different forms. Sure, there are some that completely suck. But some of us have good jobs. Some of us are in school. Some of us get no help. Some of us get tons of help. Some of us are cops, nurses, politicians, managers, etc. We can even keep our entire lives secretive so you don't even know it's us, the big, bad single teen mom-sters!

Stop being afraid of us, we're functioning members of society just like everyone else! Our kids aren't going to grow up to be lazy, dumb, stupid people, either. They'll see ambition and motivation and hard work first hand. They won't have things handed to them. They'll work for everything they have, just like we do. In the case of me and my son, we do our deal happily. Even on the tough days, we find a way to make it fun and worthwhile.

I'm going to leave you with two final thoughts:

1. I hope you know that the label that defines me shouldn't be bad. It's pretty amazing that I can manage all that I do at such a young age. Shouldn't we be proud of that title, not ashamed of it? Make a change here.

2. I hope I shed some light on a confusing situation. I hope someone who reads this article will remember that they can do it, or someone that reads it won't freak out as much when they realize that their life is changing in the most amazing way possible. Being a single teen mom is very do-able. Don't doubt it, ever.