My Single Mom Isn't An Obstacle I've Had To Overcome

The love I get from her is better than the love of 100 people.

212
pixabay

Everyone at some point or another has had to answer the cliche, overused question that is "What is the biggest obstacle you've faced in life?" You know what I'm talking about. Whether you've been asked in an awkward first day of class introduce yourself circle or been forced to write an essay about it for college, everyone has had to mull this question over in their brain. I am no exception.

Time and time again, I have had to answer it. Every time, I give a different answer. Like most people, as I grow my obstacles change. Who knows what the biggest obstacle I've ever had to face will be tomorrow? I sure don't. One thing I never list? My single mother.

I was primarily raised by one person. It absolutely takes a village to raise a child and I had many family members help along the way, but my mom has always been my #1. My mother clothed me, put food on the table, and ensured that I was healthy and safe at all times. She pushed me to grow and was always there when I needed a hug or a shoulder to cry on, even if I was crying over something ridiculous.

I see tons of people write about how hard it was growing up in a single parent household and being upset because they didn't have both a mom and a dad growing up. I'm not trying to say that their feelings aren't valid because they are, but I can honestly say that I've never felt that.

She was always working when I was growing up, always. Sunday was her day off and we'd always do something together as a family, even if that was just laying around watching TV. I did activities after school so that I didn't have to go sit at her work or ride the bus back to my grandparents house every day. Sure, coming home to a mom ready with snacks for me when I got home from school would've been cool, but having a mom that was constantly working to take care of her family taught me so much more.

Despite work, despite obligations, every night we had dinner together as a family at the dinner table. She was always at everything that I invited her to, even if it was just an audition I was nervous about. She made time and she prioritized me and my siblings. I never had to question where I stood, I knew that in my mom's eyes and life, I always came first.

I know that I still do. I could call her right now and say, "Mom, I need help.", and she'd do whatever she could to help me. She wouldn't hand me the answers or a solution, she never does, but she'd guide me through it. She'd be my voice of reason.

My mom has always been enough. She was the strong arms that kept me safe and tucked me into bed when I was scared. She was the face that I looked to for guidance and the voice that I longed to hear when I was upset. She was and is my best friend in the world. She is the strongest, most independent woman that I know.

She taught me never to settle for anything less than you deserve. I will die a happy girl if I grow up to be even half the woman that my mom is. I never felt the need to try to "fill the void" because there isn't one. My mom shows me more love than 100 people. I don't need anyone else. She's my rock.

So yes, I've faced many obstacles. Yes, lots of things have been difficult and they continue to be. But my mom loving me unconditionally? Supporting me 24/7? That's never been anything other than a blessing.