Singers I Wish Would Return to Their Bands

Just because the lead singer moved on, doesn't mean you did
121

Bands are more than just the lead singer, but there's no doubt that the lead singer is the one who carries the most weight and pressure: the voice that sets the band apart, the one who communicates to the listeners through their lyrics. Bands changing lead singers is nothing new, but it's definitely a risk. Whether there's creative differences, personal reasons, it always hurts when the singer leaves the band. In this article, I'll discuss singers that are no longer part of current bands that I feel should come back.

*Note: this article is strictly opinion based. I'm not criticizing any of the mentioned singers or bands, I'm just expressing my opinion and showing support for all of them. Enjoy the music, regardless of my thoughts.

Adam Gontier: Three Days Grace

Known for his husky, cutthroat vocals, this Canadian rocker quit Three Days Grace in 2013 due to creative differences. Since his departure, Adam has embarked on a solo career, and collaborating frequently with other bands and artists. It's great watching singers branch out and show all their colors, but his voice is part of the reason why TDG was so powerful. Though the band continues without Adam, it's difficult watching Three Days Grace, knowing the original frontman, the one we got to know and love, has moved on. Fingers crossed for a possible reunion.

Matt Walst: My Darkest Days

Matt Walst (brother of Three Days Grace's Brad Walst) was the lead singer of My Darkest Days. With his bullet-biting grin and cutting voice, Matt's lively personality and stage presence helped make this up-and-coming band stick out in someone's mind. After two albums of sex, love, and breakups, Matt replaced Adam Gontier as the singer of Three Days Grace, ending My Darkest Days' reign before it could really begin. As much I love Matt in TDG...I miss this naughty band, and its dirty singer.

Lacey Sturm: Flyleaf

With her piercing, powerful vocals, Christian rocker Lacey Sturm was the original lead singer of rock band Flyleaf. Her emotional voice and melting lyrics made the band memorable. In 2012, Lacey quit Flyleaf to pursue a solo career. I guess it's not a complete letdown, as Lacey's solo career seems to do be doing well, becoming the first solo female to top the Billboard Hard Rock Albums chart (Wikipedia). But I'm sure Flyleaf fans would love to have their lead woman return to the band someday, especially if she gets to perform her stellar solo work.

Austin John Winkler: Hinder

Austin John Winkler quit Hinder in 2013 after struggling with addiction and creative differences with the band. Known for his raspy, smokey vocals, Hinder fans were shocked and saddened over the rocker's decision to move on. His solo work was released, sounding lighter and pop-infused, a far cry from Hinder's hard rock sound. His new work is great, different for sure, but I'm bias, Hinder isn't the same without him. But the show must go on: Austin John carrying on as a solo artist, and Hinder keeping their remaining original members intact with new frontman Marshal Dutton.