I Sing Because It's Who I Am

I Sing Because It's Who I Am

It's a part of me.
7108

I'm going to apologize in advance before you read this. It's all over the place, has a lot of depth to it, and basically has the unapologetic truth about why I sing. Read on if you want.

I've been singing since I can remember. The first song I learned by myself was "Part of Your World" from Disney's "The Little Mermaid." Why do I remember that? Because music makes me who I am.

Many people don't understand why I sing, so I decided that I should share the why. And who knows, maybe other people feel the same way.

Music brings me to my "happy place." I'm a better person with music in my life.

When I sing, I forget all my worries. I forget what it's like to be sad. All I know how to do in that moment of me singing is to be happy. To be myself. It's a feeling I can't describe.

Obviously music was made to make people feel something, and boy, do I feel it all. I can feel the pain in a song. The joy. The heartbreak. All of it. Every detail. I notice it.

I sing because it's who I am. Without singing, I wouldn't be who I am today. I wouldn't be as cultured as I am (thanks mom & Mr. Stanley). I've learned so many things from music that without it, I feel empty.

I know, it sounds like I'm being over dramatic, but I swear, this is how I feel.

My mom introduced me to singing. I thank her everyday because of it. Many people think I got my voice from her, but I didn't. I don't know where it came from, and even though I'm proud to have it, I don't need it.

Growing up, my extended family constantly told me to try out for "American Idol" because my voice is beautiful. But I don't sing because my voice is beautiful. It's just an added bonus. I sing because I love it. There's no other explanation.

I'll probably never become a famous singer, and that's okay. My voice is just one of millions. However, I will continue to sing until the day I die because it is a part of me.

"I don't sing because I'm happy, I'm happy because I sing." - Anonymous