A Sincere Kudos To My Classmates Who Are Already Settling Down

Better you than me.

8

I’m not going to lie, when my Facebook news feed first started to be flooded with sonograms and wedding photos that were being posted by my old classmates, I kind of judged them a little. Or maybe I judged them a lot, since we’re being honest here. Whenever I would scroll past yet another engagement announcement, my immediate reaction was always an “Ew... gross”, which was followed by a series of questions that went something along the lines of “Oh my gosh, what are they thinking? Why are they ruining their lives like this? We’re only like 20-years-old, is this even legal? How are their parents allowing this to happen?”

But this summer, after another giant wave of weddings and pregnancies were announced, I realized that I’m not any better than my old peers just because I chose a different life path that led me out of my hometown while they chose to stay behind and start families of their own. In fact, I have a newfound respect for them because they’re doing things that I couldn’t even imagine doing at this point in my life, such as:

Committing your life to somebody other than yourself. I would rather circumnavigate the world on a boat for an entire semester with complete strangers than commit to spending the rest of my life with one person. I’m seriously so happy that you found somebody that you want to spend forever with and I respect this mature decision that you’re making at such a young age. I’m a little envious that you know exactly who you want to be with for the rest of your life and feel comfortable enough to settle down with them.

Being responsible for a tiny human life. I don’t think there’s ever really a time in your life that you’re fully confident in your ability to bring a new life into the world, but I know that my time is definitely not now. I have so much respect for my classmates that have already took on parenthood like champs. Like seriously, you guys are amazing. I can’t even make mac and cheese (literally the only meal I know how to cook) without letting the water boil over. I leave my straightener on every time I leave the house (I’m even aware of this flaw but I can’t seem to fix it). I spend a majority of my money on Papa John’s and Diet Coke (I wish I was joking). These are not signs of a person who can be responsible for another life or running a household. Kudos to you guys for growing up way faster than I was able to, even if you were forced to do so.

Supporting your family financially. I have a job, but like I said, a majority of my money goes to Papa John’s and Diet Coke. On payday, I immediately go to the bank and cash my entire paycheck because after two years of living in my college town, I still haven’t opened my own bank account here. Every time I swipe my debit card I have an overwhelming fear that it’s going to be declined because there’s a high chance that my “rough estimate” of how much is in my account is very wrong (I keep track of my finances on a napkin in my car, by the way). For the past two years, I’ve lived in a sorority house where I don’t have to keep track of utilities or bills. And I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have my parents and grandparents as my financial safety net. I have so much respect for the people my age who can budget for an entire household and make ends meet all on their own. Please teach me your ways.

Putting your family’s future before your own. I think I’m too selfish right now to have my own family. I’m not ready to put my life on hold because I know that I have too many things that I still have to see and do for myself before I settle down. I have plans for my future that a husband and a baby wouldn’t realistically fit into and I love myself too much to give up those dreams. I genuinely respect those of you who have made the selfless decision to make your families your number one priority, as they should be, because this is something that I am not capable of doing.

Maybe I’ll be ready to settle down in seven months, maybe I’ll be ready in seven years, or maybe I won’t be ready until I’m seventy. If there’s anything I’ve learned about life so far is that there isn’t just one right path, but rather many paths that lead in the right direction. I just hope whatever path you’re on brings you nothing but happiness. Or Diet Coke, because that’s the next best thing to happiness.