Since When Did It Become Okay...?

Since When Did It Become Okay...?

I learned to stifle my opinions and not instigate a disagreement, but now, I won’t keep quiet.

39
Since When Did It Become Okay...?
Spectator.org

I am a very opinionated person to the right crowd of people. If you share my opinion, chances are I will tell you how I feel. But there was always this part of me that feared speaking out into a crowd of people who did not necessarily agree with my opinions. I learned to stifle my opinions and not instigate a disagreement.

During the beginning of this presidential election, I began posting links and articles on my Facebook wall that expressed my opinion. I remember coming home from college and my uncle sitting me down and beginning a conversation with, “I see what you are posting on Facebook…” I literally had to go back through to my page to even see what he was talking about when he went on to say that everyone has a right to an opinion, but some people’s opinions are wrong. Basically, he said my opinion was incorrect and his was better. As I sat there listening to him run his mouth, I slowly became infuriated, but I still did nothing. In fact, I stopped posting my opinion anymore.

With all that has been occurring in the nation, this nagging feeling of speaking out has been more prominent than ever in my mind.

Because now, I am upset. Now, I am mad. Now, I won’t keep quiet.

Since when did it become okay to rape someone and barely get off with a slap on the wrist because his life would be ruined otherwise? What about the woman’s life who has already been ruined?

Since when did it become okay to walk into a night club and shoot people? Since when did it become okay that 50 people died in act of pure unadulterated hate?

Since when did it become okay to force immigrants out of a country that was built on immigration?

Since when did it become okay for 53 college campus shootings to occur in one year?

Since when did it become okay to jump to conclusions every time our country tries to fix the the mass shooting epidemic that has overtaken our country?

Since when did it become okay segregate against each other because of race, sexuality, or how one self identifies?

Since when did it become okay to respond in more violence and more hate?

Since when is it okay to force women to join the draft, but not recognize them as equal in pay or even the Constitution?

Since when is it okay to follow a document that was written by all white men over 200 years ago without a women’s input or another races’ input? Those founding fathers believed that slavery was okay and that women were incapable of most things. But now our country is forcing women to join the draft and has legally accepted other races are equal, but we still have yet to update it? I cannot be the only one that sees a problem with this.

Basically, I am done stifling my opinion because a fear of being criticized, and I encourage you to do the same. Even if your opinion is the same as the person next to you or the same as the article you already read. A wave is not just one water molecule. A wave is a bunch of molecules working together as one. If you want any change to be done, we need to work together as one.