A Day Without Simple Machines

A Day Without Simple Machines

Simple machines are all over in our lives, but a day without them would not be easy.

1638
A Day Without Simple Machines
https://p1.pxfuel.com/preview/226/936/861/hands-pencil-sharpener-shavings-pencil.jpg // PxFuel

A day without any simple machines would be very difficult for me. Simple machines are what made this world; they are in everything we use. Form our phones to our houses. The six basic simple machines include wheel and axles, levers, inclined planes, pulleys, screws, and wedges. They all come in different shapes and sizes to come together to make what are called compound machines. Our world would be a mess without these simple machines.

It would be difficult because I would get up, to get ready for school, but there will be no way to open my bathroom and no way to sharpen my pencils. My prediction for my life without doorknobs and other wheels and axles is that I will not be able to sharpen my pencils and open doors because there will be no wheel and axles. I will not even have a can-opener because a wheel and axle is used to make it. Nevertheless, a wheel and axle is only one simple machine, however, if I do not have any simple machines I will have a very difficult time getting things done.

If I do not have a lever then there will be no way to cut anything perfectly because scissors have levers and wedges in them. There will also be no way to garden easily because a wheelbarrow is a second-class lever, and there will be not baseball because a baseball bat is a third-class lever. Besides, builders and carpenters will most likely lose their job because most of their tools are levers, like a screwdriver being a first-class lever.

If I did not have an inclined plane, then it would be very difficult to get the elderly who are on wheelchairs up to a building because there would be no inclined plain. Also, when I would shower the water would stay in the bathtub because there would be no inclined plane to lead it to the drain. So basically it would be like showering in the same water every day. With that said, without inclined planes, there would be no stairs, so there would be no second or third floor to buildings, and even if there was there would be no way to get out because there would be no stairs leading to the first floor. There would also be no elevators because pulleys make up elevators and a pulley is a simple machine.

As I said before there would be no pulleys, and that means no elevators. Besides, movers will not be able to move heavy furniture like grand pianos without a moveable pulley, so they will lose their jobs as well. Therefore, so far, a countless amount of people are losing their jobs and I am losing my mind because there are no simple machines.

Now there are two simple machines left and they are wedges and screws. A life without screws will not be successful because everything that is built now days consists of screws. For example, phones have very little screws in them, and laptops have a screw to keep them together. Also without screws, it would be hard to preserve our food, like peanut butter because there would be not screwable lids. I believe a life without screws will disturb us the most out of all the other simple machines.

The last simple machine is the wedge. Wedges are everywhere just like screws. Without wedges, there would be no other way to cut food like apples into a various amount of pieces. Also, if the can-opener did not consist of a wedge, then there would be no way to pierce the can without the force of the wedge.

In conclusion, my life would be very miserable and chaotic without any simple machines. It would be miserable because all of the simple machines make up compound machines. To me simple machines are like air, I need them all the time and they are all around me. For example at school, we have pencil sharpeners, which are wheel and axles, and the screws are holding pictures and posters up on the walls. At home, we often use wedges like knives to cut up food, and levers like scissors to cut open packages and other things. When we are outside, we often use inclined planes when we are pushing the elderly on the ramps or even at home, when we are running down the stairs, we are on an inclined plane.

Movers often use pulleys for things that they cannot carry on their own. Not only would movers be troubled by not having simple machines, but also everyone would because we are so used to having these simple and compound machines in our lives, that we cannot just let go of them. Therefore, we use simple machines every day, and those simple machines create compound machines like cars. Our whole world is built off the five basic simple machines and without them, we would be in a lot of trouble.