Can A Simple 29 Questions Form a Friendship?

Putting to the test a sociological experiment that asking these 29 questions can deeper a connection between 2 people

178
Tumblr

Recently, on Psychology Today, I found an article that was filled with a sociological experiment. The article was titled "29 Questions to Deepen Your Connection." After looking into the intro of it, you can tell this little experiment was made for two people who are just starting a romantic relationship. But, being as I am in a serious, committed relationship where my boyfriend and I both know each other like the back of our hands, I felt like that would be no use to my boyfriend or myself. So, I took this experiment and I flipped it into deepening a regular friendship.

So, I took to my Facebook friends list and found two people to try this with, with their permission of course. One person I barely know, the other I used to really know.

Guinea Pig #1: A girl named Ashley that I went to college with who I didn't know very well. We had gone to church together one time before we both ultimately left that university and haven't talked much sense. We occasionally will favorite/retweet each others tweets or comment on each other's Facebook posts and laugh about how our old college wasn't the best. We have bonded of our mutual dislike for the college and our mutual faith and love in God. How well do I rate knowing her?: 3/10 How well does she rate knowing me?: 4/10

Guinea Pig #2: A girl named Kasey who actually used to be my best friend from 2nd grade until 8th grade. As a 13 year old, I knew her like the back of my hand, but now we are sort of like strangers. Every now and then we'll exchange hellos and like Facebook stauses, but we never usually have conversations with each other like we did in middle school. I thought bringing her into this experiment would be interesting cause it brings a dynamic from someone who used to know everything about me to someone who doesn't know much about me anymore, and vice versa. How well do I rate knowing her?: 5/10 How well does she rate knowing me?: 6/10

Now... let's get onto the questions and see if they can really deepen a friendship.

The thing I wonder about this one is what is the significance? Considering most teachers who have the biggest impact are high school teachers and I didn't go to high school with either of these girls, this question won't make me relate to either of them. But, I guess if I had gone to the same school as them and had the same teachers, this question would have been a cool ice breaker.

Charlsley's Answer: High school theater teacher

Ashley's Answer: 6th grade English teacher

Kasey's Answer: 9th grade geometry teacher

This question I can see more as an ice breaker for any stranger. It brings in stories of crazy things you've done in your life that can interest anyone, no matter if you went to school together or not. Unless you're Ashley or myself...

Kasey's Answer: HAHAHA oh great, well. I'm not that much of an exciting person and I normally stick to the same routine. I would say one that I remember (since my memory sucks) is one morning me and Jared(her boyfriend) woke up and decided to go to south of the border and bought $400 worth of fireworks and smuggled them back to Virginia for the Fourth.

This question kind of sparks for the conversation to get a little deeper. Why? Well, usually most people will either want to go back to a year that was either very depressing and they want to change something, or they want to go back to a year that was very happy for them and relive it. Ashley and I both thought of simpler and happier times to go back to.

Charlsley's Answer: 2013, to relive a fun summer camp.

Ashley's Answer: 2008, to hanging out with friends outside and simpler times.

Kasey's Answer: I honestly wouldn't go back in time, I like my life just how it is and I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason to get me where I am today so I wouldn't change my past either

This question could definitely cause some serious bonding if you both liked the same toy or game. This was the first question Ashley and I bonded over - a strong bond formed or Barbie dolls and polly pockets.

Charlsley's Answer: Barbie dolls and Polly Pockets

Ashley's Answer: Barbie dolls and Polly Pockets

Kasey's Answer: Club Penguin stuff

This question is pretty similar to the "what's the most spontaneous thing you've ever done?" kind of question. It's definitely to spark some sort of crazy story to tell the other and entertain the other.

Charlsley's Answer: A fight in school where the flip flop went across the room.

Ashley's Answer: Arriving at church and the pastor being wheeled out on a stretcher.

Kasey's Answer: I saw someone get shot at a party.

As the questions go along, there doesn't seem to be a pattern or a rhyme or reason to them. I would have expected the questions to start simple and slowly get deeper. Maybe they will as we keep going but currently they seem as like a rollercoaster of going deep or staying in the wading pool. But interestingly enough, this question actually caused some deeper discussion between Ashley and I. Instead of just answering we actually went in more depth asking each other why the job sucked so much, ect.

Charlsley's Answer: McDonald's

Ashley's Answer: Honey Baked Ham

Kasey's Answer: I haven't really had that many jobs so I can't really complain. I worked at a kennel which was alright but I had to clean up a dead dog once and then my boss stopped giving me every other weekend off so I quit.

Again, this question is a pretty standard and typical ice-breaker type question that you'd hear from like your teacher on the first day of school. It could possibly get down to getting to actually know the person, but it really wouldn't do much.

Charlsley's Answer: Probably reading people's minds

Ashley's Answer: Invisibility or flying for sure

Kasey's Answer: Super speed

Now this is a question that is definitely a nose-dive into getting deep with a person. That is, if they knock down their walls for you. This could open up some inner demons and really get to know some of the vulnerable parts of the person.

Now that this questionnaire went deep with opening up past inner demons, it immediately came back up to the wading pool with this shallow-ended question. Not that there is anything wrong with a shallow question, but it's a bit strange to go here immediately after a deeper question.

Charlsley's Answer: Probably piano

Ashley's Answer: Math

Kasey's Answer: Being super smart with a photographic memory, makes school so much easier.

For some unexplainable reason, I really like this question. I think it gives you kind of a home-y feeling about the person and what their tastes and interests are without blatantly asking them what their tastes and interests are.

Charlsley's Answer: I like how it has a homey feel to it. Maybe I just feel that cause it's my home but it just has a happy feeling to it.

Ashley's Answer: I love how close everything is - you don't have to drive more than 20 minutes to get anywhere important, and also being so close to the mountains.

Kasey's Answer: I like the farms in it.

Who doesn't love a good nostalgic question? While this one may not give you the most in depth knowledge of a person, it will make them reminiscence on younger age and simpler time and add a light-hearted mood to your conversation.

Charlsley's Answer: Mac and cheese 100%, and it still is.

Ashley's Answer: CHICKEN NUGGETS (that still is my favorite food).

Kasey's Answer: Chicken nuggets. Hands down.

This one kind of piggy backs on the hometown question. It just adds a thing about why this person liked this age/why it was their favorite and then shows you some of their favorite things and a taste of their personality with it.

Charlsley's Answer: I haven't found that age yet. Being only 19 I have yet to feel like a "oh yeah, I want to stay this way forever." I imagine some point in my 20's.

Ashley's Answer: 18, or maybe 19... but I'm sure I'll say 21 when I'm 21.

Kasey's Answer: I'd assume like 22

I think this question is for any history geeks, or maybe I just think that because I'm a history geek.

Charlsley's Answer: Maybe World War II

Ashley's Answer: The sermon on the mount

Kasey's Answer: I honestly have no idea.

Just seems like another history geek kind of question; nothing that goes too in depth about who you're talking to as a person. Maybe it could reveal a strong love for Abraham Lincoln or something, but nothing too deep.

Charlsley's Answer: Both Jesus and Michael Jackson. Like if I get to Heaven and they're both standing there waiting for me, I'd lose it.

Ashley's Answer: Jesus

Kasey's Answer: My grandma's dad, they said he would have loved me and that we're just alike.

Can I just for one say I hate this question. Whenever it's asked in a school setting or church setting or now even an Odyssey setting, I always feel like such a cocky jerk answering it. Like if I title it something positive, I'm being cocky. If I title it something negative, you would think that I am depressed. There's no right way to answer this question unless you have actually written your own autobiography.

Charlsley's Answer: "Sorry Charlsley" because people make the 'sorry charlie' joke to me a lot.

Ashley's Answer: My Life Into My Message because that's the name of my blog. (You can check out her blog here)

Kasey's Answer: I have no idea.

Does this question mean like when you get $1 from your parents when you were little or when you had a real job with a real set salary? Cause there is a HUGE difference between the two.

Charlsley's Answer: Either food or a sims game.

Ashley's Answer: Probably fake earrings or an iTunes gift card. I used to collect fake earrings before I got my ears pierced.

Kasey's Answer: Food tbh

This is kind of a open-closed question. The only response is really yes or no then you move on.

Charlsley's Answer: No.

Ashley's Answer: No.

Kasey's Answer: No.

This question goes back down a bit deeper like the giving advice to your past self one.

Charlsley's Answer: Deciding to leave Liberty University and transfer to a school back home.

Ashley's Answer: Singing on stage in the school choir.

Kasey's Answer: Taking my nclex

Honestly, this question kind of bores me. I don't know why, but it just does.

Charlsley's Answer: Automobiles

Ashley's Answer: Automobiles and medicine

Kasey's Answer The cell phone or car

Charlsley's Answer: But really, who cares?

Ashley's Answer: Is it bad I've never heard of either of these people?

Kasey's Answer: Norris, I don't know who Jack is.

Ahhh... bonding over illegal activities, how sweet.

Charlsley's Answer: A celebrity's mansion.

Ashley's Answer: Tuition or a multitude of peanut butter m&ms

Kasey's Answer: All the money in a bank

This one is pretty sweet. It's back to bringing it with the nostalgia and learning about each other not only in the present, but what they were like in the past.

Charlsley's Answer: Hanging out with Kasey at her grandma's house everyday during the summer: playing outside, making hula hoops, seeing other friends, just getting out and actually doing stuff.

Ashley's Answer: Going to the pool.

Kasey's Answer: Hanging out with Charlsley.

Such a weird question, but weird questions really do help build strong friendships.

Charlsley's Answer: Wherever my boyfriend went.

Ashley's Answer: Liberty University

Kasey's Answer: A hospital/insane asylum

I really enjoy this question. Don't ask me why because I don't know.

Charlsley's Answer: Volkswagen Beetle

Ashley's Answer: Jeep

Kasey's Answer: A mustang, like my dad.

Charlsley's Answer: A shark and a whale.. a whark.

Ashley's Answer: What? Ummmm a cat and something else

Kasey's Answer: A pitbull and a husky

This one was sweet, I imagine. It can kind of show you what this person was interested in and maybe missed a chance to get really into.

Charlsley's Answer: Biology - I'm taking that this semester in college, so I should have paid more attention in high school to at least know what I'm doing.

Ashley's Answer: Biology, or science in general.

Kasey's Answer: English, because I'm writing an essay now and I hate it.

Charlsley's Answer: Extraterrestrials fo' sho

Ashley's Answer: I think extraterrestrials, because we haven't been to all the planets, right? How do we know there's not life on them?

Kasey's Answer: Ghosts

Charlsley's Answer: No. My elementary and middle school fashion choices should stay dead.

Ashley's Answer: I've never been into fashion, so no.

Kasey's Answer: I have no idea.

This is a sweet question, it really helps you learn some more interests of the person and what they would like to pursue as maybe a hobby in life.

Charlsley's Answer: Guitar

Ashley's Answer: Singing or piano playing

Kasey's Answer: How to work on a car.

Charlsley's Ending Thoughts: I don't think these 29 questions could build a friendship. I agree they definitely help deeper a friendship, if it already exists. With Ashley, the questions were more kind of awkward - not that is was her fault or my fault, these questions just weren't made to build a whole new friendship. While did learn some fun facts about her, I don't consider us besties now. How I rate knowing Ashley now:6/10 | How I rate knowing Kasey now: 8/10

Ashley's Ending Thoughts: I think my knowledge of Charlsley definitely went up after seeing your answers to those questions! I think it would have been more effective if we were to ask those questions is person as opposed to on the internet. How Ashley rates knowing me: 6/10

Kasey's Ending Thoughts: I mean I will always consider us as friends, I've known you and your family forever. How Kasey rates knowing me: 8/10