Silence: The Sound Of Rape Culture

Silence: The Sound Of Rape Culture

By blaming alcohol, we overlook the real issues within rape culture.

66
Silence: The Sound Of Rape Culture
bashosroad.outlawpoetry.com

It seems there is a new suspect to blame for rape: alcohol. At least that seems to be the overriding factor according to College of Charleston President Glenn McConnell. He sent a message to students stating that there would be an alcohol-related ban for all "Greek Life" parties. This came after a young woman reported being raped at one of these parties.This shocking update came just a couple of weeks after Brock Turner was released from jail, serving just three months for a sexual assault. Brock, his parents, friends and the judge blamed the poor "boy's" actions on alcohol and a "Greek Life" party.

We cannot convict our suspect alcohol without more evidence. I believe there are other suspects to consider. Let's look at the case of Josh Duggar. If you are not familiar with Josh, he is the oldest son of the Duggar family (who had a long-running show on TLC). They are strict, non-traditional Baptists, who have what I would describe as beyond fundamental Christian views. I won't go into all of their belief systems, but one thing is obvious about their culture and that is men are in charge. Women must remain modest in clothing and attitude so as not to "tempt" the men. Sex outside of marriage is forbidden; in fact, kissing or front-hugging is forbidden before marriage. So, obviously alcohol and parties are not an issue in this household.

Yet reports surfaced showing that Josh had molested five girls including some of this sisters when he was a teenager. This was conveniently kept hidden for a long time. The family reported that Josh had received counseling at the time, although it was through a church affiliation. Not long after this, Josh was one of the men listed on the Ashley Madison online "cheating" website. He admitted to having affairs and viewing porn.

Earlier this week, Toby Willis -- the head of another TLC family with lots of kids and strict moral, fundamental values -- was arrested on child rape charges. Once again, our suspect alcohol is not as issue. In this case and in Duggar's, we are dealing with child molestation and rape. While there are some other systemic issues within this type of family culture, rape is rape whether it is sprung upon an adult or child.

There really isn't enough evidence to convict alcohol for rape. Should we then look at fundamental religious views as the suspect? I do not think that would hold up in court, either. If you ask experts about the causes, they will give many explanations. Some say it is our "rape culture" while others say it is pornography. Psychiatrists may point to personality disorders or childhood abuse and many will point to lack of ethical values in our country. No one seems to agree on one suspect to convict.

I would offer one suspect that is at least compliant in guilt. That suspect is silence. Silence, however, has many accomplices. Among them are family and friends who tell victims they are better off not saying anything, judges who issue light sentences assuring that victims will stay quiet in the future, a society that turns it back on sexual exploitation of women and girls, people who support companies that use sex and women's bodies to sell and colleges who blame alcohol and parties.

One thing is clear: if we continue to accuse the wrong suspects such as alcohol, pornography or any of the other common scapegoats, but do nothing to support children, women and men (yes, men) who experience rape, we will have failed. If we don't insist on stricter laws and enforcement of those laws, we will have failed. If we silence the voices of victims by denial, shame or our own silence, we will have failed.

If you want to know more about this subject, or if you or someone you know has dealt with rape, here a couple of sources for help:

RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network)

In the Charleston, SC area, contact: People Against Rape