12 Signs You Work In An Office, As Told By "The Office"

"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica."

240
YouTube

Office jobs. Sitting at a desk for an extended period of time until your legs have gone numb and your typing fingers have begun to cramp. Who doesn't love office work? And there are plenty of positions in an office as well such as receptionist, accounting, sales, human resources, and more. While working in an office isn't all bad, there are plenty of grievances just about anyone who works in an office will find totally relatable.

1. You answer your own phone with your company's greeting.

When you spend a large chunk of your day repeating a company greeting over the phone to customers it can be hard to remember how to answer your personal phone like a normal human being.

2. Sometimes the days seem to drag on.

Sometimes things around the office are slow and the day seems to be never-ending. So, you and your officemates create some pretty ridiculous activities to pass time, such as trash can basketball or building a ceiling-high pyramid from company complaint cards, or holding your very own "office Olympics", complete with an Olympic medal ceremony. Gold, of course, goes to the boss.

3. You may have pranked a coworker...or been pranked.

We all know the stapler in Jell-O trick, but what about wrapping cardboard in Christmas paper in the shape of a coworker's workspace? Beware, this may result in some sort of prank war with haunting snowmen, coworker imposters, and faulty desk drawers.

4. You have to try to avoid office treats.

When it comes to working in an office, you have to show some willpower when it comes to office treats. This includes when management treats everyone to pizza for lunch, cake for anniversaries or birthdays, and morning doughnuts. This can be quite the challenge.

5. It seems like no one needs you until you leave your desk.

...And then it is mass hysteria when you are gone.

6.You occasionally forget another employee's name.

The larger the company you work for, the more departments, and the more employees. It can be hard to keep track of everyone you don't see regularly. We've all been there when someone says "Hello, (insert your name). How are you?". Then you awkwardly respond "Good. How are you?". And then you turn around and mumble to yourself, "who the hell was that?".

7. You try not to freak out when a coworker coughs or sneezes.

Office spaces usually consist of at least three plus people. So, when someone comes down with an illness it is hard not to become a little paranoid about contracting the sickness. As soon as they leave to go to the restroom or lunch, bomb the area with Lysol and disinfectants, and avoid them at all costs.

8. You're worried the smell of your lunch is bothering everyone else.

Not every office has a break room, so some of us have to eat our lunches at our desks. Which means you are probably surrounded by at least one, maybe two, other people. This results in a little insecurity that your lunch might be bothering others.

9. The whole office slumps around 2 o'clock.

Office work can be tedious, overwhelming, and just about everything in between. When 2 O'clock hits everyone sort of beings to slump and feel the weight of the day.

10. You have at least one uhm, very unique coworker.

We all work with that one person who you may call eccentric, of diverse interests, or just plain bizarre. Sometimes you can work with this same individual for years, and still be amazed by their strange office shenanigans.

11. You have a favorite coworker.

The one who brings you coffee in the morning understands all your office grievances/annoyances and is your go-to for any office-related events, such as luncheons, parties, and meetings.

12. In a weird way you sort of love it all.

Office jobs can be stressful, tedious, etc., but if your office is anything like the one I work in, even if you won't work there forever, at the end of the day it's not so bad and the people are all sort of your friends. Yes, even the peculiar officemates.