Signs It's Time to See a Dentist

Signs It's Time to See a Dentist

Even if you have the best oral care regimen in the world, there may be a reason you desperately need a dentist. Keep an eye out for these symptoms.

3
Signs It's Time to See a Dentist

The level of care you provide to your teeth in determining how long they can last over your lifetime and if you’ll encounter or encourage any major dental issues over the course of your life. Unfortunately, even with the most diligent personal care, oral problems can still arise due to accidents, genetics, or natural issues that gradually develop over time. While you should be regularly visiting a dentist for cleanings and checkups, there are a few signs it's time to see a dentist in order to ensure your teeth continue to remain in great shape or to correct a serious problem.

Tooth Pain

It's important to schedule an appointment with a family dentist if you start to experience any sort of tooth pain, especially when you drink cold beverages or are chewing food. In most cases, this is often due to tooth decay that has started to occur or an infection. Even if that’s not the case, there could be a number of other problems that a dental professional can diagnose after they examine your teeth. Depending on the problem, they'll likely recommend scheduling an additional appointment to have the issue treated, such as a filling inserted to prevent the decay from progressing should it be a cavity.

Additional causes of tooth pain can include damaged fillings, abscesses, and broken or chipped teeth.

Bleeding Gums

If you notice your gums are bleeding frequently when you brush or floss, it's a sign that inflammation is present and needs to be examined by a dental professional. An infection may be present, which can gradually lead to bone loss if you don't receive proper treatment in time. Other reasons behind bleeding gums could be ill-fitting dental equipment, which the dentist or your orthodontist should know about as soon as possible to make corrective adjustments, bleeding disorders, or pregnancy.

Receding Gums

Receding gums are also a cause of concern and can cause the roots of the teeth to become exposed. Although receding gums are common in older adults, they shouldn't begin in earlier on in life. There's a higher risk of infection, tooth decay, and tooth loss if your gums continue to recede at an early age, making it necessary to seek proper treatment early on before serious issues develop.

Shifting Teeth

If you notice your teeth start to shift are become loose, it's an issue that should be taken seriously. Keep a close eye on if your teeth begin to move and if they affect your bite. Your teeth should last the rest of your life with proper care, making it necessary to immediately schedule an appointment with your family dentist to investigate the cause of the issues. If you have an exam performed early on, it can prevent tooth loss from occurring.

Understanding when it's time to see a dentist can allow you to catch potential problems before they progress as you monitor your oral health. When you're in the care of a dental professional, you can improve the quality of your teeth and allow them to remain in better condition.