On Monday, April 15th, I watched as a historical icon burnt. An icon that gave me the chills due to its sheer architectural wonder. I still have never seen anything comparable to the Notre Dame. The Notre Dame was more than just a Catholic place of worship. People from around the world of all religions and all beliefs would visit the Notre Dame to revel at its incredible beauty. I would like to stress this as the architectural complexity and historical importance of the Notre Dame should be remembered as it is truly an architectural treasure and wonder.

The facade of the Notre DameMyself: 2016

One of the most important aspects of this wonder is that it was that it demonstrated the capacity of how humans can create beauty and inspiration through architecture. The portion of the Notre Dame that illustrated this incredible human potential was the intricate stonework, support beams, and the spire. This architecture was perfected in the 12th century. Here, you can see the incredibly complex details carved into this massive monument.

The gorgeous detailing carved into the side of the church.Myself: 2016

The Notre Dame is much more than a simple place of worship. It is an entire work of art. Seeing it in-person is an enriching experience that truly took my breath away. There is nothing as visually spectacular as the Notre Dame in America. While architecture is similarly as beautiful in the States, the fact that this was constructed in the 1100s is unreal to me. Just imagining how this was built without modern technology is unfathomable. One must appreciate the intricacy that Medieval builders were able to achieve purely by hand and skill. Furthermore, the Notre Dame is in the center of Paris, providing a view of the entire city. You can see the Arrondissements, the curvature of the Seine River, the Eiffel Tower, historical monuments, neighborhoods, and homes. The entirety of the city of Paris laid out right before your eyes in an unmatched view.

The view from one part of the top of Notre DameMyself: 2016

Finally, you cannot deny the absolute wonder that is the Notre Dame. I was lucky enough to enjoy it in person and climb to the heights adjacent to spire to enjoy the incredible view. For those who could not before the tragedy, the structure still stands. You can still appreciate how impressive this masterpiece was and still is. I will not encourage you to donate to the restoration, but I will encourage you of one thing. Do not neglect the fact that this monument is an absolute work of art. It is unbelievable that it stood as long as it did, and it is something that should always be respected and appreciated artistically.