Why I Signed A Petition For Gary Johnson
Politics

He Has A Right To Debate And I Have A Right To Vote.

10
johnsonweld.com

As many people know, Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, was not in the debate last week between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump yet he is the Third Party Candidate for the Presidential Election. Personally, I think that voters should know that they have a third choice and what his opinions are on the hot topics.

Social Media was blown away by the reactions towards the debate between Clinton and Trump, and it was only the first debate. People were appalled at the way they were representing themselves and attacking the other. Could you imagine one of them meeting with the United Nations and acting the same way?

Therefore, I think it would be beneficial for Gary Johnson to be in the next debate. In order to qualify for the debates, Johnson must have 15 percent of the polls but before last week's debate, he was at 8.4 percent with Clinton at 43 percent and Trump with 40.4 percent. Which also means his running mate, Governor William Weld, will not be in the debate on Oct. 4th.

I signed the petition for Gary Johnson to be in the debate because I want to hear more about his stance on important issues and topics. Johnson told the New Yorker “If you’re not in the debates, there’s no way to win... It’s the Super Bowl of politics.” You can sign the petition here.

Some of the topics are want to hear about are as follows.

1. Taxes

According to Gary Johnson's campaign website, he "advocates for the elimination of special interest tax loopholes" and he wants to work towards the "replacement of all income and payroll taxes with a single consumption tax that determines your tax burden by how much you spend, not how much you earn."

Together, Gary Johnson and William Weld believe a tax system similar to what was described above is to ensure that there wouldn't be an increase of a tax burden for the purchase of basic family necessities

2. Jobs

Governor Gary Johnson once said, “As Governor, I didn’t create a single job.” . Meaning that the government does not create jobs but it's the businesses, entrepreneurs, and different levels of the economy that create jobs.

3. Support our Veterans

Governor Gary Johson has said, “As President, I will ensure that promises made to veterans are kept.”

4. Immigration

Governor Gary Johnson and Governor William Weld want to focus on creating a better system to provide work visas, a new way to conduct background checks, giving a reason for non-citizens to pay taxes, a system for proof of employment, and relate to our diverse society.

5. Foreign policy

This is an issue that Johnson has been criticised over. He has failed to name a world leader that he respects, was naive when it came to knowing about what is happening in Syria and some say he doesn't know enough about foreign policy to be President but his response is that "We put our military in this horrible situation where we go in and support regime change and get involved in civil wars where hundreds of thousands of innocent people are in a crossfire,”. His campaign site says that "He will repair relationships with our allies. And he will only send our brave soldiers to war when clearly authorized by Congress after meaningful, transparent deliberation and debate."

6. Education

Governor Johnson thinks that local and state governments should have more power in making decisions about education. This idea includes beliefs that "Common Core and other attempts to impose national standards and requirements on local schools are costly, overly bureaucratic, and actually compromise our ability to provide our children with a good education."

7. Abortion

Abortion is one of those topics that sometimes has a grey area. Some people ask, what about rape victims? Others say, what about teenage pregnancy? Others will tell you, why did the mothers not practice abstinence if they knew pregnancy was a possibility? Abortion is a hard topic to talk about, but every politician is going to have an opinion.

In simple terms, Gary Johnson is Pro-Choice. As a person, he has been honest with his personal beliefs believing in the "sanctity of the life of the unborn". As a Governor, he supported those trying to ban later-term abortions. As a politician, he believes that a personal and individual decision, like abortion, should be up to the individual and/or family.

According to a recent study done by George Washington University Battleground Poll results, show that Millennials are starting to lean towards Johnson, Johnson has 18 percent, almost as much as Donald Trump with 26 percent and over a third of those supporting Hillary Clinton with 46 percent. This could be because of their dislike towards Trump and Clinton or maybe because of Johnson's view on the issues listed above, and those that aren't listed like the War on Drugs, Civil Liberties and Religious Freedom.

Still want to know more about the third party candidate for this year's Presidential Election? He is the author of the 2012 book “Seven Principles of Good Government: Liberty, People and Politics” -- you should check it out. There are plenty more issues that he has an opinion on that you can read about on his campaign site, if only you could hear him speak about it in a debate.