Side Sleeper: What You Need To Know About Sleeping On Your Side

Side Sleeper

15

Side Sleeper

Side sleeping is almost always the winner in polls about people's preferred sleeping position. Although the exact percentage may vary, side sleeping is the most popular of all three sleeping positions. Other positions include stomach and back sleeping. They tend to be significantly behind in polls.

Side sleeping is something that many people don't understand. Some people may not be aware of all the benefits, or not know that there is a right and wrong way for them to sleep on their side. There is no "User's guide to side sleeping" that everyone comes with.

The Benefits Of Side Sleeping

Side sleeping is often a better option for your physical health. Side sleeping can reduce symptoms such as acid reflux and sleep apnea. Experts say that side sleeping is safer and more comfortable during pregnancy.

Reduces Snoring And Sleep Apnea

Side sleeping is more beneficial than back sleeping. Snoring can be worsened by back sleeping. When you lie down on your back, your jaw, tongue and other soft tissues will collapse in your throat. Your airway is narrowed and breathing becomes more difficult due to the collapsed soft tissues.

How important is managing sleep apnea important? Untreated sleep apnea can be linked to:

• High blood pressure
  • Heart disease
  • Weight gain
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Asthma
  • Acid reflux

Although stomach sleeping may reduce snoring or sleep apnea symptoms, it can also cause breathing problems. Stomach sleepers must twist their necks to one side to breathe. This can cause misalignment of their cervical spine. Stomach sleepers who don't maintain their heads at an awkward angle will breathe straight into their mattress and pillow.

Stomach sleeping can also impact lower back posture and increase lumbar-lumbar lordosis, which is the overarching of the spine. According to experts, lumbar lordosis increases are associated with chronic and acute low back pain. Lifestyle modifications, including changing your sleeping position, can often improve this condition.

When it comes to controlling snoring or sleep apnea, side sleeping is the best position.

Aids Digestion

Side sleeping prevents stomach acid from rising. It also holds stomach contents in the right place better than stomach or back sleeping. Your stomach acid can rise in your esophagus if you are lying flat on your back or front. Gravity will prevent your stomach acid from flowing upwards by lying on your back.

Side sleeping issues can be prevented or managed by treating stomach problems such as acid reflux, or heartburn.

Eliminates Brain Toxins

The lymphatic system is a waste system in our bodies. It helps to eliminate waste from the brain and can also deliver compounds like glucose, lipids, and neurotransmitters.

Have you ever heard of the lymphatic systems? It's possible that it was only recently discovered by researchers. There's still much to learn.

Scientists have found one thing about the glymphatic systems. The effectiveness of the lymphatic system can be affected by your sleeping position. It works more efficiently if you sleep on your side, rather than on your back

Why is it so important that the glymphatic systems work at their peak efficiency? Scientists believe that the glymphatic system's waste disposal function could play a crucial role in preventing neurodegenerative disorders. One example is the accumulation of proteins in the brain that causes Alzheimer's disease.

What Does A Side Sleeper Need?

Side sleepers require the right tools to get a good night of sleep. Side sleeping is possible with the help of a cushion that conforms to the body. Side sleepers need pillows that conform to their heads and support their necks.

Side sleepers don't have to buy everything. Many side sleepers can create a morning routine that leaves them feeling energized and ready for the day ahead.

How To Choose The Best Mattress

There is no perfect mattress for side sleepers. Side sleepers may prefer a soft mattress to sink into while others prefer a spring mattress with a medium feel.

Memory foam mattresses are great for side sleepers. Memory foam mattresses are great for pressure relief. They conform to the body and support its curves. Side sleeping with a memory foam mattress can give you a restful night.

Side sleepers who prefer memory foam, but want a sustainable option for their bed, may choose latex mattresses. Other materials such as organic cotton, wool, and upcycled wires are often used in natural latex mattresses. There are lots of best beds on the market.

Side sleepers who prefer to avoid sinkage and sweats will find latex cooler than memory foam. Adjustable Beds For Seniors are the best option if you're looking for a senior-friendly bed option.