5 Reasons Being Sick In College Is The Absolute Worst

5 Reasons Being Sick In College is the Absolute Worst

Trust me, being sick in college is 10x worse than being sick any other time.

23

Everyone gets sick. It's a known fact. You get sick, I get sick, even your mom gets sick! If you're like me, you take for granted being healthy. I won't get sick for months and then all of sudden, BAM! I have a runny nose, a fever, and a cough. Throughout this time, all I can think about is how two days ago, I was able to breathe just fine. Now, I'm struggling to breathe, eat, and sleep.

However, we all must admit that having a cold or having the flu while you're all alone and away from your family in college is so much harder than when you were sick in middle school.

Here are five reasons why this is unbelievably true.

1. You're away from your family.

So... admit it. When you were home and sick in the past, your mom or your dad took care of you. They cooked you soup, took your temperature, put a wet towel on your forehead... This whole shebang. Now, however, you're on your own and you have to cook for yourself, take your own temperature, and get out of bed to do everything you need to do.

2. You have to get your own medicine. 

When you're at home, your parents have all the meds you could ever need. Dayquil, Nyquil, Tylenol, Advil... the list goes on. When you're living on your own, you're probably lucky if you have some Advil. The worse part is, medicine is expensive. We have to break our own banks when before, everything was provided for you.

3. College classes are much more important. 

Don't get me wrong, all school is important. Whether it's elementary school, middle school, high school, or college. However, we all must admit that missing class in college is a lot worse. You have so much more on the line. Missing one class could possibly drop you a whole letter grade, between possible attendance points, in class assignments, and knowledge for the exams.

4. You know less people in your college classes.

So let's say you feel so sick you miss class. I feel like getting notes or assignments from your classmates is much harder in college. At least in your high school classes, you know everyone for the most part. However, it's very different in college. Classes are larger and you're grouped with people from all over the state and even country. You're lucky if you know one person.

5. Food. 

I think everyone struggles with food in college despite being sick. Everyone's used to eating out or in-class to their parents cooking meals for them. When you're sick, your parents can cook soup for you or pick up some for you. However, when you're off in college, who's going to do that for you? You'll be too tired to go get soup on your own and your parents will be too far away.

So there you have it. Being sick definitely sucks, but being sick in college is the absolute worst. You're away from your comfy bed, you're away from your caring parents, and your classes are much harder. It's almost as if everything is working against you.