5 Things You Need For A College Sick Day

Stay hydrated and call your mom.

68

What to have for a college sick day

Every veteran college girl can attest to the fact that once the semester hit, everyone's immune systems go down for the count. I, for one, am currently in bed, nursing a cold given to me by my residents, which in turn was given to them by their friend, significant other, professor, etc.

If you find yourself sick, and you only have a slight idea of what will help you get past an inconvenient illness, then look no further. I have a guide for you.

What you'll need:

Just going off the picture, you can probably guess a few of the things you'll need. And rejoice! Most the items on my list can actually be found at a campus convenience store so you don't have to trek off campus for supplies.

• Water

Kind of seems like a no brainer, especially since everyone tells you to drink more water (including me) but when you feel crappy, drinking water is the last thing on your mind. As soon as I felt my cold creeping up on me, I started drinking water like the world was coming to an end.

Staying hydrated is key for so many reasons: you're cleansing your body and helping your immune system fight off those pesky germs. Plus, being dehydrated while sick isn't fun because it makes you feel even more sluggish, and if you must pull yourself out of bed for class, that's the last thing you need.

• Juice and Tea

If you need a bit more motivation and flavor to stay hydrated, juice and tea are also good things to have on hand. Depending on the juice you grab, such as orange juice or cranberry juice, there are wonderful vitamins and antioxidants to help bolster your immune system.

While tea also has antioxidants, this beverage is also great for soothing sore throats and bad moods. Green tea is usually the suggested ones, though fruit and herb teas would be just as amazing too. (And if you want the best of both worlds, try making a homemade version of Starbucks Coldbuster. It's like a liquid cough drop!)

• Cough Drops/Cold Medicine

Of course, actual cough drops come in handy too, especially if you have a class presentation that you just can't skip, no matter how sick you are. I usually stick to the honey and lemon ones, though the menthol ones are the ones to grab when you have a stuffy nose.

As for actual cold medicine, I find myself sticking to the tried-and-trues of Nyquil and Dayquil. If you bring any medicine with you to campus, make it these two. For one thing, there's usually the cheaper off-brand version at your local grocery store, and you get way more for less than if you bought some on campus since they usually carry the travel size/smaller bottle.

• Healthy Comfort Food

Most people reach for their favorite food when they're sick, which makes sense. You feel crappy, so you eat your feelings. However, if you're reaching for cookies and chips while you're sick, it may take your immune system a bit longer to bust that cold.

If and where you can, go for the healthy alternative. Fruit is always a good idea for a sweet treat and is a wonderful way to get the energy and vitamins you so desperately need. Soup is a wonderful thing to have nearby since the warmth is comforting, the broth is soothing, and nothing quite reminds you of sick days spent with your mom like chicken noodle soup, right?

• Moral Support

Last but definitely not least: people who love you from a distance. That could be your co-workers picking up your shift so you can get more rest, a classmate willing to take notes for you, or your friends/significant other picking up your favorite soup from Panera Bread. It most definitely can be your family, especially if you call/text them for advice on what to do while sick. (I know because that's what I did with my grandma earlier this week.)

Your sick day ritual may be very different from mine, but if you're in a pinch, and can't quite remember what you need, just take a quick glance at this list, and you'll be on your way to feeling better in no time.